Great Hawaiian Chicken Huli Huli Recipe...enjoy

How offended will you be if I try to adapt this into a vegetarian recipe?

I seriously doubt Stan would take offence. But if he does, read my reply 2 posts above yours...chances are he's already angry at me, and hasn't noticed your post ;)

Many thanks for the great recipe Stan, look forward to trying it out this summer, i would love a thread on Hawaiian recipes, i enjoy cooking , all the best from me :)

Licking my lips already, gonna make it with my parents tonight!

Hmmm interesting I've never tried teriyaki Huli Huli Chicken. Most places use some sort of dry rub, but the key IMO to a great Huli Huli Chicken is Kiawe Wood.

By far the best I've ever had is a small spot on the side of the road in Waimea on Hawai`i Island

Hmmm interesting I've never tried teriyaki Huli Huli Chicken. Most places use some sort of dry rub, but the key IMO to a great Huli Huli Chicken is Kiawe Wood.

By far the best I've ever had is a small spot on the side of the road in Waimea on Hawai`i Island

Living on the mainland I have to buy the wood. Thanks for the tip. Found some here.
http://www.hawaiiguava.com/kiawe-smoking-wood.html

dis da one in Maui....huli huli chicken stand in Maui...http://www.yelp.com/biz/huli-huli-chicken-hana

Thanks for posting this, Stan. As today was my last lunch in Hana, I had the huli huli chicken again. Now I at least know I can make it at home this summer, so I won't got through withdrawal too badly.

Okay Gang...this is the current updated style now with pineapple juice....:)
Original recipe makes 8 servings Change Servings Makes servings US Metric Adjust Recipe (Help)

2 (3 pound) chickens, each cut into 8 pieces

1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup ketchup

1/4 cup sherry

1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, crushed

3 cloves garlic, crushed

4 green onions, chopped

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Check All Add to Shopping List .Directions
1.Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, sherry, ginger, garlic, and green onions in a large resealable plastic bag, stirring the marinade until brown sugar has dissolved. Place chicken pieces into the bag, squeeze out air, seal bag, and lomi (massage) bag to coat chicken with marinade. Refrigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.
2.Move an oven rack 6 inches from heat source and preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
3.Remove chicken from marinade and arrange chicken, skin sides up, on a broiler pan.
4.Bake chicken in preheated oven until browned on both sides and the juices run clear, turning every 10 minutes, 30 to 45 minutes. Baste with remaining marinade after each turning. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest piece of chicken, not touching bone, should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

Thanks for posting this, Stan. As today was my last lunch in Hana, I had the huli huli chicken again. Now I at least know I can make it at home this summer, so I won't got through withdrawal too badly.
Aloha Diane,
I certainly hope this vacation revitalized you and released all your daily stress of your grieving process.....I am glad you came girl and recharged your batteries...have a safe flight home and
hope your return soon.... :)
NO forget the hawaiian coctails girl...
MAI TAI
There are a lot of variations on this basic recipe for a Hawaiian favorite. A word to the wise, don’t have one mai tai after another, with almost 4oz. of liquor and that fruity flavor you might be dancing a hula to the pounding in your head!
2 oz. light rum
1 oz. Triple sec orange liquor
1 tbsp. Orgest almond liquor or almond flavored syrup
1 tbsp. Grenadine
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 dash 151prf. rum or dark rum (optional)
Shake ingredients (except the dark rum) and strain into a large glass about 1/3 full with crushed ice. Decorate with a maraschino cherry speared to a wedge of fresh pineapple. Top with a dash of dark rum for that reddish color, or for sure inebriation 151 proof rum. Put an orchid in each drink for the full Hawaiian
CHI-CHI
1 1/2 oz vodka (non-alcoholic chi-chi omit the vodka)
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple
1 cherry
Blend vodka, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut with one cup of ice in an electric blender at a high speed. Pour into a wineglass, decorate with the slice of pineapple and the cherry, and serve.
BLUE HAWAII
1 oz light rum
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Blue Curacao
1 oz Cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple
1 cherry
Blend light rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut with one cup of ice in an electric blender at high speed. Pour contents into a highball glass. Decorate with the slice of pineapple and a cherry
LUAU PUNCH
1 gallon pineapple juice
6 ounces lime juice
2 quarts vodka
2 quarts 7UP or Sierra Mist
1 quart brandy
1 quart tonic
Ice cubes to chill
Mix all ingredients in a large punch bowl.
Great for you big campfire summer parties girl...

Last edited:
Try it as a marinade for tofu.

Hey Gary I use the ginger chicken sauce with shoyu for tofu
Mince fine, green onion and ginger first.....
heat wesson oil in pan till smoking ....add minced green onion and ginger in hot smoking oil for 15-20 seconds and remove and put in bowl....add salt.. and soy sauce to taste....
cool and put on tofu....
PS if you did the sauce right only the green onion will wilt and oil will turn green...you need lots of it...like 1/3 bunch.... do not keep in pan for long... :)

Last edited:
Hey Gary I use the ginger chicken sauce with shoyu for tofu
Mince fine, green onion and ginger first.....
heat wesson oil in pan till smoking ....add minced green onion and ginger in hot smoking oil for 15-20 seconds and remove and put in bowl....add salt.. and soy sauce to taste....
cool and put on tofu....
PS if you did the sauce right only the green onion will wilt and oil will turn green...you need lots of it...like 1/3 bunch.... do not keep in pan for long... :)

Thanks Stan I'll try it. I get fresh tofu in San Jose.

Did you know I was a sushi chef before I became a teacher?

Thanks Stan I'll try it. I get fresh tofu in San Jose.

Did you know I was a sushi chef before I became a teacher?
Aloha Gary,
Yes Len told me....I used to do some too...not sushi though, but I can make some...well in High school I did work in the kitchen in the back of a sushi shop...he he :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom