Used Pono MTD or K brand tenor?

TheJuice

Reaction score
Just another guy looking for an upgrade to satisfy my uke obsession...

There is a used Pono MTD available at the moment and I trust that it is a very decent uke and I bet I'd be stoked if I picked it up. I can, on the other hand, afford a K brand tenor (defunct new guitar fund) and have played and really enjoyed my coworkers beautiful Kamaka a few times. Unfortunately, my purchase will be sight unseen as I have no local stores with the K brands other than Kamaka. I love the look and the history of the Kamaka, the rave reviews if the Koaloha tone, and the dark woody look (and the sound sample from HMS) of the Kanilea. Sooo, Kamaka, Ko'Aloha, Kanilea or the used Pono?
Thanks.

If you like the sound, there is no wrong answer among that bunch.

Sounds like you've just about sold yourself on a K brand.

I am pretty tempted by the K brands but with a quality used uke available in my local(ish) area I'm excited to give it a run as well. I have read up quite a bit on the Ponos and it sounds like the concesus is very good.

Its just the evil temptress K brands are trying to convince me otherwise.. :eek:

the trouble is that if you don't K, you will drive yourself crazy what iffing for the next decade.
it's a hard row to hoe for the obsessed.

I once laid down my solid mahogany Pono and picked up a Kanilea..........no comparison.

I once laid down my solid mahogany Pono and picked up a Kanilea..........no comparison.

Why the Kanilea and not the other 2 (or 3) k's? Not sure why but my initial impulse was for the Kamaka and Koaloha and didn't think much about the Kanilea. Once I actually took a look it looked and sounded pretty dang nice.

Why the Kanilea and not the other 2 (or 3) k's? Not sure why but my initial impulse was for the Kamaka and Koaloha and didn't think much about the Kanilea. Once I actually took a look it looked and sounded pretty dang nice.

I just prefer the sound of Kanileas over most of the Kamaka's I've heard. Not much experience with KoAlohas. Been impressed with Ko'olaus. I hear some of the newer Ponos can compete with the K ukes....would have to hear them in person. That's why it's great to belong to a uke club or go to Uke festivals, etc. You get to see and hear many brands. If I lived in HI, I'd just go to HMS, but I can't.

I would opt for the K brand. I have tenors from Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha and they are all great ukes. If you want the history and traditional uke sound, I would say go Kamaka (though change the strings)! If you want the prettiest eye candy and nicest finish with a warm tone, choose the Kanilea. And for the most volume and best customer service/warranty, with a bright tone, pick the KoAloha.

OP, in another thread you said you had a Lanikai. Nothing wrong with that, but I question whether or not you might make an intermediary jump before you feel you need a K brand.

What you've got here on UU is enablers, who will tell you to buy the best you possibly can. Maybe you don't need, or aren't ready for that yet. Buying a super duper uke won't may you a better player any more than buying a fancy set of clubs will make you a better golfer.

you might make an intermediary jump before you feel you need a K brand.

That's kinda what I wondered and wanted to get other similar experiences with taking the intermediary step vs going for it.

What you've got here on UU is enablers, who will tell you to buy the best you possibly can.

That's pretty funny! :D If they don't do it who will? Isn't that why everybody is here...;)

I'm thinking I will answer my own question like this:

The K brand ukes will always be there. No reason to rush, I could just take the time to experiment with other ukes that I may not otherwise experience if I went right for the top o' the line. I will enjoy the experimenting, buying, selling and playing en route to the kick a$$ uke. At the end of it I will have lots more knowledge to share to the future UUers. That being said, that Pono better not get sold before I get to test drive it or I shall consider myself a risk to my own bank account...:eek:

Thanks all for your input!

Last edited:
In the spirit of being fully enabling - buy the MTD now, and then justify getting a K brand later because you need one linear and one reentrant tuning :D

In the spirit of being fully enabling - buy the MTD now, and then justify getting a K brand later because you need one linear and one reentrant tuning :D

This describes me so much... Except I have a K brand and I want something "lesser", and also to have a linear and reentrant tuned ukuleles. X_X

Pono was sold:(. I know there are others used Ponos for sale online but I'd really prefer to see any used item in person first. Back to browsing...

Top Bottom