Buying a new ukulele

undergroundukulele

Reaction score
I got some graduation money and need some help choosing a new ukulele. Right now I'm debating between the three, but I'm open to any suggestions!
I'm looking for one in the $300-500 range, but this Keli'i is really tempting.
http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/kelii-ukulele-online-ck.html#.Uab3i7XqmSo

I recently played with my friend's mainland and loved it.
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...881CD3A64597BE28F5.m1plqscsfapp06?productId=9

Or this Islander appeals to me as well because of the soft, warm sound... but I know the demo is played by someone who could make any ukulele sound great.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-solid-concert-msc-4.html

Right now, I own a basic starter Mitchell, and after 2 years, decided to upgrade. I'm really looking forward to owning a nice one!

Go with what "speaks" to you. With the Mainland, you'll know what to expect. If you want that koa sound, the first looks like a good option but make sure they do setups. The Islander sounds great partly due to the great setup done by HMS (as does mainland).

Buying a new `ukulele

I read some of the information on your post. I think you should go for a Lanikai Tenor `Ukulele, All Solid Koa. They should be somewhere in your budget. I have adored Lanikai for a while, and am saving up to buy a Lanikai Tenor with all solid koa. But of course, it's all about preference. I would just go to the store and feel out the `ukulele. And if you like it, get it. Have fun and good luck!!!

I played all the Keli'i ukes at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) they all sound good and they are as close to a Hawaiian Made Uke you will find..(the one that was 469.00 sounded the best to me..)
might not be on the website..you have to call the shop..

Last edited:
thank you!

I played all the Keli'i ukes at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) they all sound good and they are as close to a Hawaiian Made Uke you will find..(the one that was 469.00 sounded the best to me..)
might not be on the website..you have to call the shop..
sorry, I'm new to ukuleleunderground so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate formatting, but what shop should I call?

In that price range I'd also consider the Pono AC, Pono MC and the deluxe versions of those two ukuleles. All available from the aforementioned HMS - very well built and excellent ukes for the price.

I cannot recommend Pono MC or AC enough either, they are amazing quality instruments. They'll cost around $300 and will be $500 of quality. you really can't beat that. After that I'd recommend the new Cordoba 35's, gotta love those too, and the fact they just hit the market.

I have a Pono mahogany concert that is about 4 years old now, I love it and it has held up well. I've heard and played a number of Mainlands and I've never seen a Mainland that didn't look great and sound very nice. I have no experience with the other brands that you mention.

The Islander has a very nice, warm sound, even when played by a hack like me! String it with a low G string and it sounds very, very good and plays well. The Keli'i is nice but the koa body will have different and brighter sound than the mahogany Islander. BTW, HMS no longer carries Keli'i so you'd have to buy elsewhere if that is where you end going.

Check out www.pilikoko.com. I have 2 of Jason's ukes and am very happy with the quality, sound, service and price.
All are setup with Worth clears and a come with a padded bag.

I'm currently considering getting a pono mt from HMS with the passive pickup installed (about $500 with the case) While I can't personally comment, the cheaper ponos are universally regarded as the best Ukes in that price range, with many saying you would have to spend several more hundred dollars to find comparable quality.

Top Bottom