Thinking of buying a Firefly Banjo ukulele

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
I recently played out with several other players at an outdoor venue and noticed several players had flea ukuleles. They were purchased in Massachusetts, so I went to the site and began to look around at other cool looking ukes. Among them was A firefly Banjo ukulele that has the ease of a uke and the sound of a banjo. I really like the idea of that. Has anyone here played one or anything similar? Here's the link to the site so you can take a look. They are inexpensive but look cool.
I'm itching to buy another ukulele and want something different. Thanks for your comments.

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=263

I recently gave feedback to another post about this banjo uke. I played one last November. I already have a "heavy" concert sized banjo uke with full resonator, so I wasn't in the market for one...........buuuuuuuuuut..........It was cute as hell, light as a feather, loud, and had a great "banjo ukey" kind of sound. If I did have one, it I probably would play it tons more than my big, heavy one. I liked it a lot better than it's primary competitors. For the right deal, I may still pick one up

They come with friction tuners instead of geared tuners. I have only played once on a uke with friction tuners and had a hard time keeping it in tune, although it was an antique uke which may have been the reason. Do you have a problem with the friction tuners?

They come with friction tuners instead of geared tuners. I have only played once on a uke with friction tuners and had a hard time keeping it in tune, although it was an antique uke which may have been the reason. Do you have a problem with the friction tuners?

I like friction tuners. If you adjust them and know how to use them they are fine.
PegHeds are an upgrade option if you're one that dislikes friction tuners.
I have some ukes with really cheap friction tuners and even they work.

I ordered a concert neck Firefly on May 11 and just got a tracking number yesterday. It will be here tomorrow. I have played other banjo ukes and love the idea of a banjo sound and not the weight. Here's James Hill playing one. I'm planning on working on claw hammer style this summer. Looking forward to it!

I have a tenor Fluke with standard Grover tuners and a concert neck Surf Flea with upgraded Grover tuners that both work well. No problems. Pegheds are excellent, but, for me, an extra and unnecessary expense. I love them on my Glyph custom tenor. If you have the extra $69, go for it. You won't be sorry.

I played one at HMS last week....it sounded great, even though I am not into Banjo's....set up real nice this one...

I had one of the very first (#16 if my memory serves) and thought it was OK. The light build was a plus, the tone was good, but I just don't care for the necks.

I also had a Gbson UB-1, which was a bit heavier, a bit louder and fuller, and -- in my opinion, anyway -- a lot easier to play. You'll have to be patient, though, if you want a deal on one.

And of course, here's the shameless plug for the "baritone" (really a tenor banjo) uke I have in the marketplace: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?79827-Baritone-Banjo-Uke&highlight=Baritone+banjo

Seeing as we're neighbors and all, you're welcome to swing by and have a go at it.

I love having a banjo uke around, even if it isn't a regular player. My wife, however, really dislikes the tone. That was my only reason for selling the earlier ones and for selling this one.

(Having just re-read this post, it occurs to me that a) my wife is very patient with me, and b) I'm not a very quick learner. :))

I have Firefly S/N #22, with rosewood fretboard and Peghed tuners, soprano-ish size . (Slightly longer scale than std soprano, like all Fluke products.)

I ordered it after playing two of the prototypes for about an hour at the Magic Fluke shop, in Sheffield, MA.

I love it.

It doesn't mean that I don't want another banjo uke - I've got a 1920s Stella as well, but I still wouldn't mind another one or two... And now that there is a concert scale Firefly, well....

-Kurt​

I've enjoyed mine immensely. However, there are a couple of things I'd do different.

I've found that my concert neck flea is a little better size for me, so I should have waited to buy a concert neck Firefly.

Second thing is I've got the wood fretboard on the Firefly, which I find easier to play when I'm looking for visual cues, but otherwise I like the plastic fretboard on my flea every bit as much.

Finally, the friction tuners on my flea and on my daughter's flea give me no trouble tuning. The Firefly is a bear to get in tune - I don't know if it is the shorter scale length, the different strings, something inherent in banjoleles, the friction tuners or the hardwood fretboard, but it takes me a lot longer to get in tune.

Has anyone put a pickup on one of these? They sure are perdy :D

To original poster - yes, the Firefly's are awesome. Very easy to play like any of the Flea products. Solid and reliable. Good value for the money.

To piggyback on the post, does anyone know of a good hardcase for the Firefly?

I bought one of the ones mentioned in this thread - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Hardshell-25-expires-soon&highlight=case+deal - Concert size

It fits pretty tight around the drum and there isn't much room for the tuners - I think a more generous sized concert case would work just fine - for instance, one of the foam core cases that doesn't come in so much around the neck. Also, I believe Elderly has banjolele cases, and Flea Market music offers a Fluke case with a foam insert designed to fit a Firefly if you want to be sure and get something that fits.

If you're interested in pictures of how it fits in the case I have, let me know and I'll post some.

Thanks to everyone for all your answers. I'm going to make it a day trip, and drive out to Sheffield which is 3 hours from me, and try them out.

It is worth the drive!

Sheffield, while only about 70 miles from me, was about a 2 hour drive. (About 90 minutes when I went home, because I drove back through Great Barrington, but the trip out was all secondary and tertiary roads.)

Be warned, you will want to play a lot of ukes - I did, and ended up walking out with a Fluke Tenor, and ordering the Firefly. And I was very close to getting a Flea, as well...

-Kurt​

DSC09747.jpgDSC09748.jpgDSC09749.jpgDSC09750.jpg

Firefly (soprano neck) in concert case from Musician's Friend - fit is tighter than I'd like both around the pot and at the tuners. However, a more generously proportioned concert case should work just fine.

I'm glad for this this thread since I've been curious about banjo ukes but the two I've tried (Gretsch and Dixie) weren't too impressive, and I especially didn't care for the weight.

How does the head stay tight without adjusters? I have a djembe and in the humid summer months the head slacks right off. Maybe because it's synthetic and not hide?

And banjoles with resonators are much louder that normal ukes. How does this one compare in volume to a normal uke (whatever "normal" uke volume is)?

Finally, what do folks think about the strings offered- Bella Banjo Uke strings with wound third. Are these the strings supplied on the uke (description just says "Bella")?

Last edited:
Top Bottom