Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Firefly Banjo ukulele

Default Thinking of buying a Firefly Banjo ukulele

I recently played out with several other players at an outdoor venue and noticed several players had flea ukuleles. They were purchased in Massachusetts, so I went to the site and began to look around at other cool looking ukes. Among them was A firefly Banjo ukulele that has the ease of a uke and the sound of a banjo. I really like the idea of that. Has anyone here played one or anything similar? Here's the link to the site so you can take a look. They are inexpensive but look cool.
    I'm itching to buy another ukulele and want something different. Thanks for your comments.

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store...?idproduct=263

I recently gave feedback to another post about this banjo uke. I played one last November. I already have a "heavy" concert sized banjo uke with full resonator, so I wasn't in the market for one...........buuuuuuuuuut..........It was cute as hell, light as a feather, loud, and had a great "banjo ukey" kind of sound. If I did have one, it I probably would play it tons more than my big, heavy one. I liked it a lot better than it's primary competitors. For the right deal, I may still pick one up

I love mine, but want a tenor scale if they ever make one !!!
    Keep Strummin'

They come with friction tuners instead of geared tuners. I have only played once on a uke with friction tuners and had a hard time keeping it in tune, although it was an antique uke which may have been the reason. Do you have a problem with the friction tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2myuke View Post
    They come with friction tuners instead of geared tuners. I have only played once on a uke with friction tuners and had a hard time keeping it in tune, although it was an antique uke which may have been the reason. Do you have a problem with the friction tuners?
    I like friction tuners. If you adjust them and know how to use them they are fine.
    PegHeds are an upgrade option if you're one that dislikes friction tuners.
    I have some ukes with really cheap friction tuners and even they work.
    Keep Strummin'

I ordered a concert neck Firefly on May 11 and just got a tracking number yesterday. It will be here tomorrow. I have played other banjo ukes and love the idea of a banjo sound and not the weight. Here's James Hill playing one. I'm planning on working on claw hammer style this summer. Looking forward to it!

I have a tenor Fluke with standard Grover tuners and a concert neck Surf Flea with upgraded Grover tuners that both work well. No problems. Pegheds are excellent, but, for me, an extra and unnecessary expense. I love them on my Glyph custom tenor. If you have the extra $69, go for it. You won't be sorry.

Let's have a laugh after we cry. Let's hope we live before we die. Loudon Wainwright III
    Best Regards,
    Ray

I have had 2 and they are great fun,well made, and light, which is a big plus.

Liked it when I reviewed, still liked it when I saw it at NAMM with the cool heads and poly fretboard
    http://ukeeku.com/2011/04/24/magic-f...e-full-review/
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

I played one at HMS last week....it sounded great, even though I am not into Banjo's....set up real nice this one...
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

I had one of the very first (#16 if my memory serves) and thought it was OK. The light build was a plus, the tone was good, but I just don't care for the necks.

I also had a Gbson UB-1, which was a bit heavier, a bit louder and fuller, and -- in my opinion, anyway -- a lot easier to play. You'll have to be patient, though, if you want a deal on one.

And of course, here's the shameless plug for the "baritone" (really a tenor banjo) uke I have in the marketplace: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...Baritone+banjo

Seeing as we're neighbors and all, you're welcome to swing by and have a go at it.

I love having a banjo uke around, even if it isn't a regular player. My wife, however, really dislikes the tone. That was my only reason for selling the earlier ones and for selling this one.

(Having just re-read this post, it occurs to me that a) my wife is very patient with me, and b) I'm not a very quick learner. )

Thread Information