Ukule-Along (Los Angeles Music Center downtown), July 13, Aug 10, Sept 28

itsme

Reaction score
EDIT: Update below:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-July-13-Aug-10-Sept-28&p=1382231#post1382231

--------------------------------------------------

Someone just posted this at one of the uke meetup groups I belong to.

http://www.musiccenter.org/events/activearts/UKULE-ALONG-2013/

Three Saturdays 10:30am - 1pm, free but you need to register by June 30.

Anyone know who the instructors are supposed to be?

STRUMMERS IN THE SUMMER.

Step inside the world of the humble and simple ukulele – the perfect gateway to happy and fun music-making. A wonderful way to get your summer strum on with mixed level group instruction in:

Strumming 101 and Beyond
Fingerpicking Patterns & Techniques
Licks & Tricks and more!

Perfect for ukulele fans, adult amateur musicians only (18 years and older), beginner* to intermediate level. *For the purposes of this program, a beginner is defined as: the ability to strum in rhythm while playing these 5 chords in this order - C, Em, F, D7 and G7.

Limited seating capacity (no walk-ins). Kindly bring your own instrument and music stand.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. I am signed up for Ukule-Along @ The Music Center. :music:

7warriorlion, I did just email them. If/when I hear back, I'll post the updated info.

And janeray, I do remember your experience last year. Hopefully, if you go, it'll be something more positive for you this time around. :)

If a few UU members end up going, I think it would be cool to have a get together for lunch afterwards. :p

janeray, i think it is completely irrelevant and inappropriate for you to rehash your personal drama from last year and pre-tarnish it for others who haven't been or who did enjoy it, especially considering it may be a whole different group of instructors this time around. it was nothing but good intentions from all who were involved last year, including me

If a few UU members end up going, I think it would be cool to have a get together for lunch afterwards. :p
A gastronomic experience after a morning of music making with some UU members? That's not cool, that's delizioso! Most definitely!

This is the response I got about instructors.

We don't publish the names of our instructors prior to the event, but
please be assured that they will be high-quality instructors
specializing in the styles of strumming, fingerpicking, and many more
techniques.

I look at this in a different way.

I don't get a chance to play with other people except for the Westside Uke Ensemble...I am the outsider as most live in the area and take lessons from McCabes. We have different skill sets and different music tastes but it's all good as it's an opportunity to play the uke with others.

That's how I view this Ukule-Along: Get together in Downtown Los Angeles and play the uke. Regardless of instructor, I'm sure I'll learn something and get to meet some uke players.

nongdam, that's kind of how I'm looking at it, too. I've been to several meetups with a local group that's primarily into strumming/singing pop songs, which isn't really my bag, but I look at it as a chance to meet and play with other ukers.

So I went ahead and signed up for all three sessions. At least it's free, although I imagine the parking will cost an arm and a leg. :eek: I'm going to see if anyone else from the local group is interested in carpooling, if possible.

janeray you know, you could remove it yourself if you wanted to. just sayin'.

nongdam/itsme, that's how it's supposed to be! last year I was the one who suggested presenting a variety of genres and I specifically named Jason Arimoto, Bartt, Abe and Lincoln who are all into different styles of music. I don't know who it's going to be this year but I hope they go with a similar concept, I'm sure everyone will get something out of it. Plus you'll get to meet and mingle with ukulele lovers who are outside your normal circles

I went once last summer and attended a fantastic blues class. Signed up for the Aug/Sept meetings this year. It would be great to meet some other UU members before or after.

This is the response I got about instructors.

Thanks for the info, itsme, I appreciate it.

I don't get a chance to play with other people except for the Westside Uke Ensemble...I am the outsider as most live in the area and take lessons from McCabes. We have different skill sets and different music tastes but it's all good as it's an opportunity to play the uke with others.

Aw, you're not the outsider, you're just geographically challenged! We're happy to have you join us.

Got a reminder email from them today.

So, does anyone have any ideas for a lunch get together afterwards? Not one of those hoity-toity restaurants, just something quick to grab where there's maybe an outdoor space we could jam in?

Thanks for the Westside Ukes shout-out, nongdam. You always bring some good playing with you when you make it to the WUE meets.

I went to the ukulele-along last year and had a great time. Maybe I just got lucky with the instructors. I second the recommendation for Daniel Ho, I would take a class from him anytime. I can't remember all the others right now, but overall my experience was positive.

I was really looking forward to riding the Metro downtown for this year's Uke-along, so imagine my surprise when I found out it was sold out! Too bad for me, but good news for the Uke...

That's how I view this Ukule-Along: Get together in Downtown Los Angeles and play the uke. Regardless of instructor, I'm sure I'll learn something and get to meet some uke players.

Looking forward to tomorrow! Printed out the music packet they sent.

Decided to take my Kala thinline tenor. Even in its case, it'll fit in my tote bag so I don't have to carry them separately. :)

I'll be wearing a UU t-shirt. Hope to meet some of you there. :p

Have a great time! I really liked Daniel Ho and Jason Arimoto last year but did not rsvp right away this year since I did not know which instructors would be there. Once I stopped dilly dallying, it was sold out. I look forward to hearing how it went. :)

I had a good time. Sat by another UUer in one class and ran into several ukers from a local meetup group. :)

There were four classes, you got to choose two.

- Connecting Music to Movement (Dance)
- Fingerpicking
- Licks & Tricks
- Strumming

I took Fingerpicking with Abe Lagrimas and Strumming with Daniel Ho.

I enjoyed Abe's class immensely. He broke it down, had us repeat measures and bring up to tempo. By the end, I'd say I had a lot more confidence in my fingerpicking, and I think he did a wonderful job of introducing a lot of people to it.

I was a bit disappointed in Daniel's class. He's an engaging personality and an immensely talented player who has a lot to share. But I was a bit put off that so much time was devoted to teaching hula hand moves. Daniel introduced a few strums, but we didn't really drill on them. I would also say that the Auditorium it was in had no natural light and was underlit. Was sharing my stand with someone who hadn't printed out the first packet, and we both agreed it was too dim to read well.

Overall, though, I'm really glad I went. It was stimulating to be around hundreds of other ukers!

I was told the next Ukule-Along will be in Little Tokyo, we'll be notified of the location via email.

Oh, and there's someone trying to organize a flash mob after the next Ukule-Along. Their addy is ukulelefans @ gmail.com if you're interested. My understanding is the flash mob will be within walking distance of the Ukule-Along venue.

Registration reopened for Sept 28.

Got an email about this earlier. If you missed out and want to attend the final installment for this year, better hurry up and register. Don't imagine they'll be accepting too many more.

As I understand it, this one is supposed to be a big kanikapila instead of classes.

STRUMMERS IN THE SUMMER

Registration just reopened for our final Ukule-Along on September 28! Perfect for ukulele fans; adult amateur musicians only (18 years and older), beginner to intermediate level. This is a wonderful way to get your summer strum on with mixed level group instruction in strumming, fingerpicking patterns, licks and tricks, and more!

REGISTER online no later than September 20. Space is limited.

http://www.musiccenter.org/events/activearts/UKULE-ALONG-2013/

No Link for Packet 2

I went to the Ukele-Along last weekend. Some of us did not have a link for the Packet 2 PDF (containing most the music we played, Heard it Throught the Grape Vine, Little Brown Gal, Brown Eyed Girl, etc). Does anyone have the link or would be willing to share the PDF. I've sent multiple emails to the Art Counsel, but have yet to get a reply. Thanks!

Top Bottom