Source for Uke-sized wood

Laidback1

Reaction score
Folks,
Can you respond back with some online sources for Uke-sized woods. Most of the places that I bought guitar-sized wood don't have stuff for ukes.

Much Appreciated,
Mark

I'm not a luthier but googling "ukulele wood sets" turns up lots of hits

gobywalnut.com has ukulele sets in walnut, maple, and myrtle with other options for softwood tops.
Gilmer woods has some uke-sized stuff.

That's just two places in walking distance from my work - if I can find that in Portland, Oregon, look around - there's bound to be many, many more.

http://www.notablewoods.com/
'Ukulele Sets
Promo
thru 6/30/13

Hawaiian koa A-grade sets, mixed and matched tops and backs with sides, some with curl, some without; some with minor flaws; all guaranteed usable tonewood.

Price is for five (5) sets

Soprano $95.00

Concert $110.00

uke woods

Oregon Wild Wood, oregonwildwood.com, has a few. The owner, who is very passionate about salvaging tonewood, is going to open a site just for ukes and mandolins, because he has some great finds that are too small for guitar sets.

There are great rare, salvaged woods, old grown, etc. on this site.

If I am careful about the size of blank, and plan well, I can often get two uke sides and back out of one guitar set.

Anne Flynn

Folks,
Thanks for the info. Will check out gobywalnut, Notable and Oregon Wildwoods. I appeciate the help. I understand that I can simply go to Google and type in "Uke Sets"; however, I've been burned buying wood from folks to only find out I shouldn't have. That's why I asked for a few references to sites.

I'm wanting to build a couple of tenors and do not believe that any of my existing guitar wood would be big enough to squeeze 2 Uke sets out of it but will check.....

Hibdon hardwoods in St. Louis has uke sized woods. Great folks to work with too

cookwoods.com
guitarwoodexperts.com (buy a cheap guitar top and get 3-4 uke tops out of it)
rctonewoods.com

Top Bottom