Moodyville Tenor, Build Update

Doc_J

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Here's the latest build update pics of my Gypsy Jazz tenor from Shelley Park of Moodyville Ukules.

Went with the English Walnut wood set and a spruce top. The body is together, and it's looking good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Whoa. :drool:

reminds me of a macaferri guitar?? (sorry if i didnt spell it correctly)

You have a good eye. To quote the luthier, "Moodyville Ukuleles are a tasteful homage to the mid-century guitars of Mario Maccaferri."
Shelley D. Park is more renowned as a guitar builder. Her guitars are based on the original Selmer Maccafferri specifications.

Last edited:
I could live with that uke! Frequently, and for hours on end. If it sounds as good as it looks.....................

Oh Boy Doc,, wow wow another beautiful uke ....holy moly.....it looks awesome.....thank you for sharing....Congrats man :)

New pics Moodyville Gypsy Jazz tenor under finish. The English walnut is looking even nicer!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Mitch. Looking forward to an update on your custom Kinnard walnut concert build.

My Moodyville Gypsy Jazz tenor of English walnut and sitka is completed !
Hopefully, it will make across the continent by early next week.

Here are a couple final pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Moodyville tenor has arrived !

My Moodyville Gypsy Jazz Tenor arrived this afternoon. This is the first uke that I have ever purchased (let alone ordered) where I have never heard sample from the builder. So, my first strum would be the first I have ever heard a Moodyville ukulele.

My first impression is that I love it. Very few ukes I have owned were as professionally made and great sounding as this one. It is a perfect as they come. The design is simple, clean, and well executed.

The tone, intonation, resonance and volume are truly outstanding. It is incredibly light, beautiful, and exceptionally well made. I swear it weighs about half of my LFdM. The ukulele also has a wonder feel. The neck thickness is perfect for me, not too thick, not too thin. The body is nearly as wide as a baritone. (It came in a customized baritone case).
It sounds fantastic now, yet I know the ukulele will sound even better as it opens up with playing time.

I did make a short sound sample of it today, on day 1. I'm not the best uke player, but I think it captures the beautiful sound of the instrument.
This uke is tuned down half a step and has Worth Brown strings.
Sound Sample: https://www.box.com/s/apey50rbo1dt73akhyih

**added 7-9-2013
A few folks have wondered how it sounds a half step higher at regular C tuning. So, I cranked it up and put this sample together.
(I think it sounds great in C, too. But, a little lower is a little warmer and richer sounding to me.)
Sound Sample: https://www.box.com/s/8wcsg58ha1iz013voixr

Here are a couple pictures of it with my LFdM for comparison. I think the bigger body of the Moodyville give it a rich, deep, very resonant sound, even when tuned re-entrant.

This was a great experience for me, and I would very much recommend Moodyville Ukuleles and the luthier Shelley D. Park.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow, congratulations. Looks and sounds great!

I really like the sound Doc. I really like the shape of the body.

How come you tuned it down half a step?

Last edited:
Top Bottom