Strap one on?

To be honest, I think you're taking "warranty" to the extreme here. I doubt there are any companies out there that would cover you taking a drill to their instrument and messing up, no matter how great their customer service is. However, if you're worried that you cannot do it properly by yourself, take it to any music store, and they should be able to install a button just fine.

Here is the Magic Fluke's warranty policy in part:

"The Magic Fluke Co. products are warranted to the original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of three years from the date of manufacture. This warranty shall be invalid if the product is damaged as a result of misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, or repair by anyone other than our own production facility."

So...even though I'm sure I could get someone to drill a hole in a Fluke for me, I would be loathe to do that.

CountryMouse

I have difficulty believing that adding a strap button, if done correctly, would void their warranty, which is against manufacurer's defects.

I would recommend that you call the company about it. I hear they are really nice folks, and they could probably even give you advice on the proper installation of a strap button for a Fluke or Flea.

In another post, I quoted their warranty policy in part. I could ask again, but they recommend their own Flea Collar plus sending along some Velcro sticker-type things.

I just want to know how krabbers did it.

CountryMouse

CM,

If you are you handy with a sewing machine you have a couple great options without drilling into the Flea.

The Flea has a small hole for a hook built into the body. It is located under the neck where it joins the body. You can rig up a neck strap using webbing, string, etc. and hook it in through there with hooks, knots, etc.

Another options is to use industrial strength adhesive velcro on the body side instead of a button. Industrial strength velro can be pruchased at hardware stores such as Home Depot.

On the back of each side of the velcro is a strong adhesive. You peel off the backing and stick in on.

If you put a piece on the bottom of the Flea, you could use webbing to make a strap. Sew on a piece of velcro to the end of the strap and stick it to the velcro on the bottom of the Flea.

Attach the other end of the strap to the neck/headstock by stitching a couple lengths of chord to the neck end of the strap. Then you just tie the chord around the neck or through the headstock.

You can purchase slides to make the webbing adjustable.

The only thing you loose with this second approach is being able to stand the Flea upright.

Best of luck.

In another post, I quoted their warranty policy in part. I could ask again, but they recommend their own Flea Collar plus sending along some Velcro sticker-type things.

I just want to know how krabbers did it.

CountryMouse

I did read your post quoting the warranty before I replied.

And if you want to know how Krabbers did it, perhaps you should PM him.

I did read your post quoting the warranty before I replied.

And if you want to know how Krabbers did it, perhaps you should PM him.

I quoted krabbers' post about possibly making a YouTube video tutorial about how he had done it. That's why I was asking. That was what my original post was about. :)

CountryMouse

CM,

If you are you handy with a sewing machine you have a couple great options without drilling into the Flea.

The Flea has a small hole for a hook built into the body. It is located under the neck where it joins the body. You can rig up a neck strap using webbing, string, etc. and hook it in through there with hooks, knots, etc.

Another options is to use industrial strength adhesive velcro on the body side instead of a button. Industrial strength velro can be pruchased at hardware stores such as Home Depot.

On the back of each side of the velcro is a strong adhesive. You peel off the backing and stick in on.

If you put a piece on the bottom of the Flea, you could use webbing to make a strap. Sew on a piece of velcro to the end of the strap and stick it to the velcro on the bottom of the Flea.

Attach the other end of the strap to the neck/headstock by stitching a couple lengths of chord to the neck end of the strap. Then you just tie the chord around the neck or through the headstock.

You can purchase slides to make the webbing adjustable.

The only thing you loose with this second approach is being able to stand the Flea upright.

Best of luck.

This is very helpful! I didn't know there was an industrial-strength Velcro! I'll be doing this version of a strap! It'll be for a Fluke. ::saving post for reference::

Thank you very much!

CountryMouse

I should clarify,

The velcro itself isn't any stronger, it's the adhesive on the back that is "idustrial strength". The adhesive on the back holds up to a great deal of tugging and pulling.

I've have this stuff in our SUV to hold a removeable a trailer brake controller and it's stayed on through all sorts of temperatures. Oh, it holds the brake controller quite well too....

Last edited:
I should clarify,

The velcro itself isn't any stronger, it's the adhesive on the back that is "industrial strength". The adhesive on the back holds up to a great deal of tugging and pulling.

I've have this stuff in our SUV to hold a removeable a trailer brake controller and it's stayed on through all sorts of temperatures. Oh, it holds the brake controller quite well too....

Oh, that's what I thought you meant--very high-powered stickiness. :) I was concerned about that a little (regular sticky Velcro) because I tend to push the neck of a uke away from me a bit when I'm playing, so there is some tugging on a strap.

Thanks again! :)

CountryMouse

There are other post/threads on this topic, but I will say one reason I like to use a strap is that rarely, but sometimes, I'll let the uke hang away from my body if I want that tonal fullness, as contact with the body & forearm can greatly affect the tone, and you can use those variations to great effect. Moreover I feel more freedom to go up and down the neck without worrying about slippage (although I don't see it hindering Aldrine much!). When I'm seated, I don't need a strap - in fact it ends up bugging me more than anything else...

I wouldn't ever let an overly restrictive warranty policy get in the way of the practical use of an instrument. With a Flea or Fluke, the chances of your needing to invoke the warranty are miniscule anyway. It's no big deal to put an end button in the butt of just about any uke, and if done properly (correct sized tapered hole), I can't think of an instrument company on the planet that would consider that as negating a warranty.

Then attach one end of the strap there at the end button and tie the other end just "North" of the string nut.

This is just not a major job, and for many, it will make all the difference in playing comfort.

Note also that clamping the uke body against your own with your forearm will dampen a fair amount of top and back vibration. It may look cool to not use a strap for all the juggling parlor tricks you may want to learn, but it does not do tone any great good.

Uke Thong is the way to go..just make sure you always keep a hand on the instrument so it doesn't fall...

I have one of those uke thongs. I've tried to like it, but it just doesn't give me that feeling of stability I get with a regular mandolin strap. All three of my current ukuleles have strap buttons and leather straps on them (tied/affixed right by the nut).

I'll be looking into the industrial strength Velcro and a leather strap when the time comes for a Fluke.

Thanks anyway! :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom