Guitalele questions..

Liamfsus7

Reaction score
After playing with a friends guitar last week I bought a guitalele.
I'm very happy with it, but to play along with guitars do they have to have a capo on 5th fret? Can I put a capo on anywhere to make it in the same key? Thanks

I'm very happy with it, but to play along with guitars do they have to have a capo on 5th fret? Can I put a capo on anywhere to make it in the same key? Thanks

You can capo but sometimes it is just easier to transpose the chords for either the guitar or the guitalele. You'd be capo'ing your guitalele pretty high up the neck and that might make it a bit inconvenient to play. Transposing everything a fourth down would be easier in my opinion.

If you capo the guitar on its 5th fret, you should end up where your guitalele is, except with better bass resonances.

To use guitar chords on your guitalele, you'd need the capo to be on your 7th fret, which would (figuratively) strangle its sound.

I'd agree with JG that transposing will get the best sound out of each instrument. And depending on where you'd like to get to as a musician, learning how to transpose may help you get there.

transposing and capo are not needed.
If everyone plays a "C" chord you are all in the same key.
It makes no difference how you are tuned a "C" is a "C".

Top Bottom