Next on the cards- Selmer/Maccaferri style uke

I used 2 bookmatched sets of guitar Indian rosewood backs. I got 3 sides (3" x 24") out of one set and 4 uke backs out of the other set (one maccaferri, 2 tenors, 1 concert)

Cut away insert is movable for custom fingerboard width options.

pics 610.jpgpics 612.jpgpics 613.jpgpics 616.jpg

I do that same sort of thing with a lot of the guitar sets I have on the shelf. Actually quite economical when you consider how many instruments you get out of a set.

Yes I am also amazed at Beau beautiful work and craftmanship....he has honed his fine skills to produce some of the nicest ukes out there ..
Just drooling looking at them pictures.....

Yes I am also amazed at Beau beautiful work and craftmanship....he has honed his fine skills to produce some of the nicest ukes out there ..
Just drooling looking at them pictures.....

Thanks Stan! I know you know your ukes so it is quite a compliment :)

I got the back glued on today :) As you can see, im happy! ;)

In on of these pics it shows me trimming the back braces. I now do this as i had a problem with a guitar of mine where the brace ends pushed the bindings out in dry climates. So now i leave a small cap between the brace end and side instead of just running them through.

pics 130.jpgpics 131.jpgpics 132.jpgpics 133.jpgpics 134.jpg

Last edited:
Rosette making

These selmer guitar plans were shrunk so the body equalled 12" in length (same as a tenor body) so the oval sound hole was in proportion but i thought it a tad to small so i widened it about 3 or 4 mm. So the soundhole is now where the inner rosette edge was in the scaled down plans.

Another pic shows the soundhole template and the rosette template with a sample of the rosette.

There are better ways to construct an oval rosette like using a router template etcetcetce and I will do that later in the year, however this first time I decided to make it and inlay it by hand....So I used a perspex oval inner wrapped in baking paper to stop the CA glue sticking to it then proceeded to wrap it with WB purfling according to the original selmer rosettes. I used teflon to pull it all tight and not bruise the outer BW, pinned it then CA'ed it all.

rosette 22.jpgrosette.jpgrosette (2).jpgrosette (3).jpgrosette (20).jpg

Last edited:
Inlaying the rosette by hand.

The most difficult thing about this was to see the scribed lines in the spruce along the grain. Other then that, it is pretty straight forward like a shell inlay.

All you have to think about is:
Make shape
Scribe around shape
Excavate offending wood in order to,
Fit shape
Glue in shape

Note my use of this little platform I put on an angle- my first time doing so and it is very comfortable. Those drafters are on to something!
rosette (9).jpgpics 141.jpgrosette (6).jpgrosette (7).jpgrosette (8).jpg

Forstner bit to remove the excess.

Hand sanded the rest. I am adding something special to the back of this sound hole so I will later touch up any width inconsistencies between soundhole and rosette.

pics 169.jpgpics 168.jpg

5 bracing ideas. Each has its merits and would work. I chose one of these.

The braces are not "to scale", meaning I just grabbed the nearest sticks to illustrate.

Which one would you choose and why???

1- 3 fan with radial tone bars
2- Double x
3- 5 fan
4- Slanted (Similarish to the 5 fan but with extra stiffness across the grain. The angle and direction shown here are not necessarily what i actually would have done)
5- Original ladder bracing

others would have been
6- Falcate
7- Radial
8- Kasha

selmer bracing ideas (4).jpgselmer bracing ideas.jpgselmer bracing ideas (1).jpgselmer bracing ideas (2).jpgselmer bracing ideas (3).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom