Good Ukulele stores in the UK

If in Edinburgh try SCayles in st Patrick sq good selection and George is great to deal with

Hi,

I was just wondering if any UK based members can recommend some good stores in the UK for ukulele accessories ?

I've been reading the various strap discussion threads on the forum and I'm quite keen to give one a go but the Mobius, Uke Thong and Leash only seem avaliable from the States ?

Has anyone tracked them down in the UK?

Are you looking for on-ground or on-line stores? If on-line, Southern Ukulele Stores (SUS) has already been recommended & I'd endorse those recommendations too. Highly-strung International are also worth considering, though they don't carry as much in the way of accessories as SUS.

If you live on the Central line, and have been down Denmark St, then I'm kinda surprised you haven't seen the ukes on sale in Wunjos or Chris Bryant's (you mention guitars but not ukes). Macari's Charing X Rd branch is also chock-full of ukes, and all these stores are always willing to negotiate a price (I bought my first 'proper' uke from Macaris, for not much more than I'd have paid online, simply by quoting what it'd have cost me buying online), not something you'll find them doing at Duke of Uke.

I wish I could say nice things about Duke of Uke. I've warmed to the owners over the years and even played a benefit for them(!), but I've never found their prices or their attitude particularly attractive (others' mileages may vary of course), and now they've moved from Hanbury St, E1 to Cheshire St, E2, they're an awful long way from anywhere (Bethnal Green tube is the nearest tube on the Central Line and that's 3/4 mile away by foot).

Just up & off the Tottenham Court Road, you'll find a branch of Hobgoblin at the end of Rathbone St http://www.hobgoblin.com/shops/london/, dedicated to the folkie end of things and very knowledgeable on ukuleles.

And while you're down there, you could do worse than also popping into Chappells of Bond Street (confusingly situated on 152-160 Wardour Street, in the old Novello building), half-way between TCR & Oxford Circus, not cheap, but excellent customer service.

HTH

Last edited:
From that, I assume you're on Tyneside. Some folk have said Windows is pretty good for ukes these days but I've not been in Windows for a few years.

Just realised I forgot to reply to this. If you go to JG Windows, make sure it's the one at Monument and ask for Simon. He's great!

Just realised I forgot to reply to this. If you go to JG Windows, make sure it's the one at Monument and ask for Simon. He's great!

Thx. That's the one I was thinking of. I used to go into Newcastle quite often but don't so much these days.

Avoid alegro music, sold me a ukulele with a broken pick up and in the wrong case and wrong sized case! very let down!!

Top Bottom