Singing and playing??

Spud1$

Reaction score
I need some tips, I can play the tune but the minute I try to sing along I mess up my strum. I really need to sing along to get the tempo other wise I just sound so monotonous. I am a horrible singer but I feel like I need to sing to be a better player. I did search the forum but didn't find advice and yet I feel sure I read something about this since I joined in March. Thank you

Thanks I knew I had seen it here, and I searched the forum. I never seem to find anything thru the search forum, I must not use the correct words.

Thanks I knew I had seen it here, and I searched the forum. I never seem to find anything thru the search forum, I must not use the correct words.

It's not you. The UU forum search function can be a bit cranky. You can search the forum using Google, just add "site:ukuleleunderground.com" (without the quotes) after your search terms in Google, and it will find forum posts for you.

It's not you. The UU forum search function can be a bit cranky. You can search the forum using Google, just add "site:ukuleleunderground.com" (without the quotes) after your search terms in Google, and it will find forum posts for you.
Thanks for that tip! It worked too I just tried it for another question I had. Yeah

dude, ya gots to put your time in

sing/play it 50 times. report back. sing/play 50 more times. report back. betcha, you got better. there's no magic. whether dancing, juggling, hustling chicks, or shooting free throws, just put in the time.

Just takes a lot of practice. Everyone starts out the same way. Just make sure you can PLAY the song without even thinking of what your hands are doing. Then slowly add in the words. Once you get it down 1 time, it gets pretty easy.

sing/play it 50 times. report back. sing/play 50 more times. report back. betcha, you got better. there's no magic. whether dancing, juggling, hustling chicks, or shooting free throws, just put in the time.
I'm not a Dude. I am an old lady trying to learn the ukulele. Spud is my dogs name. Every one else's posts were helpful but with yours I choose to laugh. I will tell you a secret....... There is Magic, you might not be taking the time to notice it.

Last edited:
Just takes a lot of practice. Everyone starts out the same way. Just make sure you can PLAY the song without even thinking of what your hands are doing. Then slowly add in the words. Once you get it down 1 time, it gets pretty easy.

Thanks for the encouragement I really thought maybe my brain couldn't learn any more multitasking.

so sensitive

I'm not a Dude. Spud is my dogs name, every other post was helpful but yours made me laugh.

dude wasn't meant as a male moniker. sorto like "hey guys" is considered neutral. my post not helpful because the language put you off? the context basically says practice and that ain't helpful? only dudes hustle chicks? geez.

dude wasn't meant as a male moniker. sorto like "hey guys" is considered neutral. my post not helpful because the language put you off? the context basically says practice and that ain't helpful? only dudes hustle chicks? geez.

Whoa, chill. :) I think she (?) meant that you posted was helpful and especially made her (?) laugh. It's a good thing. ;)

I'm not a dude, but my female friends and I "dude" each other often too.

Btw, I'm also trying to juggle singing and playing. Not good, but I just bulldoze over it and anyone who happens to listen just smiles. I agree with Alex, practice lots!

Last edited:
Some of the best guidance on the subject I know. I had a workshop with him....one of a kind. Performing his specialty. Has great books and dvd's

http://www.ralphshaw.ca/

Well once I can play I'll try to sing to , the operative word here being 'try' ,lol . When I lived in SoCal I called the girl dudes dudettes .

Practice will always help, but I do think there's an inherent ability in some people to be able to switch off from one task and perform another. I can play drums and sing far better than I can strum and sing (but on the other hand, I can play drums far better than play the uke).

If in doubt, multi-track :D

Otherwise - just have fun - who really cares what the end result is :D

i play a little bit of drums and bass and it seems difficult to sing and play. with a uke (or guitar), it seems easier because of the autopilot on the strumming. methinks, it's because i try to play too funky on drums/bass. but who plays funky ukes?

Before playing an actual song, try playing a chord progression using a simple downstroke rhythm and then just sing the root note of each chord as you progress. Then start making it more complicated as you get the hang of it.

Top Bottom