Uke Scale

brUKEman

Reaction score
I am deciding between two ukes. They are both Concert. One has a 15" scale and the other one has a 15 15/16" scale.
I prefer Tenors so I'm thinking the longer one is better.
Will I even notice the difference when playing?

It's basically like getting an extra fret. Can you tell the difference playing tenor normally vs playing with a capo on the first fret?

If at all possible play the two of them and decide which feels and sounds the best to you. Otherwise, the extra (almost) inch might be a little more comfortable for "crowded" chords but then will make those long stretches just a little bit longer but is otherwise insignificant. If you can't play them, look at the geometry of the ukes. If the extra inch on the one with the longer scale was achieved by moving the bridge out of the "sweet spot" and closer to the heel then the volume and sustain of that uke will probably not be as good. On the other hand, if the bridge is still approximately centered between the soundhole and tail of the ukulele then, all other things being equal, the longer strings might give that uke a slight edge in volume and sustain.

Again, if possible play both and let your fingers and ears decide.

John

Top Bottom