Spanish Style Ukulele - Does this sound Spanish?

I am working on my own instrumental piece, trying to get a very Spanish style sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peOFsZ1iRAU

Does this sound like the progression fits? I'm writing out progressions which seem to sound Spanish and although some Flamenco sites have some progressions, some are difficult to move quickly through.

I'm going to be using an Am progression and Dm progression totaling 8 chords.

This was one of the Am progressions. Curious if I am on the right track?

Cheers,

You might get some ideas from Rob MacKillop's book, 20 Spanish Baroque Pieces by Gaspar Sanz. In particular "Espanoletas" might give you some inspiration.

The main rhumba sections sound very modern Spanish, but the section in the 50-58 seconds sounds more Russian Balalaika to my ear. There is a superb video course available for basic Spanish Guitar (which means it is intermediate level or above for most strummers). I am, sure you could adapt the lessons for Uke. The most important thing he teaches is how to approach the music from a rhythmic, rather than a melodic approach. It's a multi-camera angle course that goes from Bullerias upwards.

There is also an English guy here on UU who has posted to the forum a stack of things he has done in the Spanish field which are really excellent for a non-Spaniard. You two should get in touch. His name is on the tip of my tongue.... Try a search for "Flamenco Ukulele" limited to UU.

Cheers,

Berni from Barcelona

Top Bottom