Wood advice sought for custom ukulele

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The wonderful Toni of Anakoneke Ukuleles is building me a custom tenor. I'd asked for an ukulele with hardwood back and sides and a softwood soundboard, and we found a great set of Paduak for the back and sides. Now it's time for o match a soundboard to the Paduak wood set, and Toni has picked out some Engelmann Spruce, Western Red Cedar, and Douglas Fir from which I'm going to choose. She says they all have great tap tones and similar properties as soundboards, and she thinks that for me, the choice is primarily aesthetic. So here's your chance to weigh in! Please let me know which of the soundboard woods you like the most with the Paduak set we've picked. Also, if you have any thoughts about any differences in the three softwoods as soundboard tonewoods, please let me know that too. Thanks in advance!

Left to right: Paduak, Engelmann Spruce, Western Red Cedar, Douglas Fir
attachment.php

Engelmann Spruce
attachment.php

Western Red Cedar
attachment.php

Douglas Fir
attachment.php

Mark I like the Cedar...
btw make sure you get onto the Milo bandwagon before they don't have any more nice sets...

I'm sure there is no bad choice, but my order of preference would be cedar, spruce, fir.

That piece of fir looks amazing. The medullary rays would look incredible under finish and would be my first choice. I also really like the contrast of the engleman and feel that would also be a stunning combo. They all look great and no doubt will result in a cool uke.

Hmmm, I wonder how sinker redwood would have worked.

It is my opinion that the back and sides of any wood will work OK. As for tap tones, that really doesn't mean much. Choose the wood that is the lightest in weight, stiffest, best quarter sawn, and oldest and well cured. If you want looks, go for what you like, if you want sound....what I said.

The wonderful Toni of Anakoneke Ukuleles is building me a custom tenor. I'd asked for an ukulele with hardwood back and sides and a softwood soundboard, and we found a great set of Paduak for the back and sides. Now it's time for o match a soundboard to the Paduak wood set, and Toni has picked out some Engelmann Spruce, Western Red Cedar, and Douglas Fir from which I'm going to choose. She says they all have great tap tones and similar properties as soundboards, and she thinks that for me, the choice is primarily aesthetic. So here's your chance to weigh in! Please let me know which of the soundboard woods you like the most with the Paduak set we've picked. Also, if you have any thoughts about any differences in the three softwoods as soundboard tonewoods, please let me know that too. Thanks in advance!

Left to right: Paduak, Engelmann Spruce, Western Red Cedar, Douglas Fir
attachment.php

Engelmann Spruce
attachment.php

Western Red Cedar
attachment.php

Douglas Fir
attachment.php

Purely on looks, the Douglas fir has a nice warm red tone that should look wonderful with the padauk. I think it's also the most interesting looking as far as grain.

Do you want warmer (cedar) or brighter (spruce)?

I'm not sure about how Fir would sound (but it is stronger, heavier, and stiffer than the other two), it is the best looking of the tops.

I'd probably go with the Fir.

Toss up between the Fir and Spruce, but I'll have to give the nod to the Spruce.

I would pick the best sounding top and then to resolve the fact that it looks too plain . . . Spray it a different color and bling it out:)

That piece of fir looks amazing. The medullary rays would look incredible under finish and would be my first choice. I also really like the contrast of the engleman and feel that would also be a stunning combo. They all look great and no doubt will result in a cool uke.

Yes, yes, and yes! The Doug Fir is really nice. Here's an uke made for my carpenter friend that loves DF and requested it for a top. Incredible tap tone and I love the rich warm color! Thank you jwieties, you're right, any of these tops will make an incredible uke. I can't wait! ;)DSC09983.jpg

Hi Mark,

I like the look of the spruce. It would make that Paduak pop. And the engelmann spruce won't darken over time.

Last edited:
Fir is usually the heaviest because there is more pitch in the wood. There is a reason we don't use it very often, it is not the best tone. If you build for looks alone, you will be disappointed down the road because the sound just won't be there, and you may grow tired of a pretty but poor sounding uke. Spruce in the strongest as long as it is well seasoned, light, stiff and little or no run out in the grain, although Engelman would be my last choice for a spruce to use. Cedar will be the most brittle as would redwood.

Top Bottom