Advancing on ukulele

fuzzyjesus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to ukulele, but I absolutely love playing it. Although I've only been playing for a few weeks, I already no how to play guitar, so I'm progressing pretty quickly (I just learned how to play Jake Shimabukuro's rendition of While my guitar gently weeps). Any advice on where to go from here? Perhaps any books/DVD's with Uke techniques and theory, or maybe some challenging songs to play? All input is valued!

Welcome to UU. What you did is basically the same i did I played guitar for a while then played the ukulele and learned while my guitar gently weeps and haven't stopped playing since. After I learned that I watched youtube videos to learn more songs and techniques. Here's a good video with a few strumming techniques http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_at_nglL3M also there are a ton of "Uke minutes" that are really helpful. I ended up learning 11 songs and a bunch of different strumming/picking techniques. Not sure if you know theory but if you haven't I'd sign up for UU+ for theory. You could sign up for it and learn how to do strumming techniques but most of them are on youtube so id just learn a few songs and you'll learn techniques just by watching on youtube. Also I know A lot of people love tabs but I would not learn any songs by tab you will naturally learn techniques just by watching whoever plays the song you want to learn. When I played guitar I learned by tabs and it took me forever and half the time it didnt sound right but that's up to you On how you want to learn lots of people learn by tab and it sounds good. if you do it by ear you can do it way faster. My favorite players are james hill, jake shimabukuro, kalei gamiao, and aldrine guerrero they're all really good

Last edited:
Top Bottom