Thread: Schaller tuners

Default Schaller tuners

Just got a new Kamaka . Schaller tuners are very difficult to use. What am I doing wrong. They say not to use a tool just use you fingers to set the tension which is not working for me. I emailed Kamaka and they offer a $90 set of a Japanese brand. Should I be complaining to Kamaka ? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by nesto View Post
    Just got a new Kamaka . Schaller tuners are very difficult to use. What am I doing wrong. They say not to use a tool just use you fingers to set the tension which is not working for me. I emailed Kamaka and they offer a $90 set of a Japanese brand. Should I be complaining to Kamaka ? Help!
    There's been much talk about this very subject. Many, including myself, have not had a good experience with the Schaller friction tuners. Kamaka offers ukes in a "+" model. ie. HF-2+, which includes the Gotoh Planetary tuners. (4 to 1 tuning ratio)

If you complain, complain to who you bought it from since they didn't tell you the difference or availability. Kamaka charges extra for the + model.

You can buy the Gotoh planetaries from Hawaiian Music Supply where they have 4 different combination of finishes and knobs. http://www.theukulelesite.com/gotoh-...bcf3rr1m9k85b1

Or you can contact Josh at japarts.ca He has a much larger selection of buttons, but is a bit more expensive and takes a couple weeks to get them. I put a set of Tortoise Shell looking tuners on my HF-2 from Josh, and in process of installing a set of Ivorioid tuners from HMS on a HF-1.

Here's one link from previous discussions. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...anetary-Tuners

I didn't like my Kamaka standard uke's Schaller tuners at first, but I kept adjusting the screws (without a screwdriver) each time I noticed some frustration---just a little tightening or loosening makes a big difference.

It took me a while, but now the tuners are working well.
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Thread Information