Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Harry Mungo Kalahiki?

Default Who is Harry Mungo Kalahiki?

I have seen this CD online all over the place--Amazon, eBay, Best Buy, etc. And the tracks sound great--you can listen to samples here. Check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Harry-...2482015&sr=1-1

But, although this CD look vintage, it says it came out in 2009. In addition, a Google search on Harry yields NADA. No information whatsoever, and not even another CD by the man.

Who is this mysterious Mungo? Anyone?

The 2009 CD is a reissue of an older album. From the Hawaii Star-Bulletin archives:

"Michael Cord takes on the task of reissuing the out-of-print back catalog of another long-dormant Hawaiian record label with the release of two albums from the old Tradewinds label. This was the label's first album; originally released as 'Mungo Plays Ukulele' (Tradewinds LP-101), it was hailed at the time as the first-ever album of ukulele instrumentals, and Harry 'Mungo' Kalahiki was described in the liner notes as 'unique among ukulele players in that his taste veers to the classic and semi-classic.' "

Harry Kalalhiki was born in 1920 and died in 2005, he was probally most popular after WWII and was with a select group island entertainers like Nelson Waikiki...
    He was born in Hilo on the big Island but moved to Oahu to play music....last know to be living in Hauula, Hawaii....he was a self taught ukulele player and pretty good...
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

God, you guys are encyclopedic! Thanks so much. What you've written is highly interesting.

I bought/ordered the CD. Couldn't resist. Thanks again, Mark and Stan.

8/8/13: It is lovely, this CD. Great sound for an old CD. I did a review of it on Amazon.com. Great find, love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Harry-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Harry was actually born in 1928 and passed away 03-31-91 in Kauai. As mentioned above he was a self taught musician who could play any string instrument well (okay I never heard him play a violin). Also, he played by ear as he didn't like to read the music, he liked to feel it. It was a joy to grow up listening to him play as he did every spare moment he had. I'm so happy to know that people talk about him, he was my father and one heck of a musician!

Didn't know the man before this thread but I liked the music I heard. May have to order it. Thanks
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Wow, Ipugirl, Harry was your dad?! I wish I knew or at least had heard him play.

I grew up in Palolo Valley from 1948 thru 1966 before leaving for Chicago for college.
    Your dad's album is one of my all time favorites and his styling is something I try to
    emulate... I can't play the songs on the album, but every now and again I try

Thanks so much for sharing about your dad and yourself!

Mahalo and Aloha!

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

I have to say, I just discovered the music of Harry Kalahiki, due to a small piece in 'Ukulele' magazine. Apparently, he only made this one album, but it has to be one of the finest ukulele albums ever. Otherwise, there is no info whatsoever on him anywhere; apart from the little facts revealed in this UU forum thread. How such a musician can disappear, or just stay under the radar, is beyond me. I mean, just LISTEN to the man. He's AMAZING. The record is on spotify, too.

Quote Originally Posted by drbekken View Post
    I have to say, I just discovered the music of Harry Kalahiki, due to a small piece in 'Ukulele' magazine. Apparently, he only made this one album, but it has to be one of the finest ukulele albums ever. Otherwise, there is no info whatsoever on him anywhere; apart from the little facts revealed in this UU forum thread. How such a musician can disappear, or just stay under the radar, is beyond me. I mean, just LISTEN to the man. He's AMAZING. The record is on spotify, too.
    what the doctor said. listen, friends. it's magnificent.

Thread Information