Tangi Koa Double Puka Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitzic

Reaction score
Okay friends, this is one you won't see everyday...especially on the mainland. I have a koa double puka Tangi tenor. For those of you not familiar with Tangi, he was a smaller Hawaiian builder who no longer makes ukuleles.

There is a small crack, or scratch on the top by the one sound hole. I think it's a scratch, but since the finish is so thin it's hard to tell. I can't feel it on the inside, and it hasn't moved since I got it. That's the close up.

This was in my permanent stable, but my husband was laid off and we have 2 vehicles that need to be inspected this month. It is what it is.

$400 and we'll split shipping. Comes with a Uke Crazy basket weave case. Paypal gift or money order accepted.

Understand that it is a holiday weekend and my replies may be slightly delayed.

Tah tah kids

I have had several Tangi's and all were great. Sound was unique to anything I have ever played but very good! Just my experience and good luck with the sale!

Island Made? or Asian? I've heard conflicting tales
Not to put it down, just curious as I have a Tangi Mango Pineapple & always wondered...

Trying to remember the history as the website is no longer available. I believe the double pukas were special order and made in Hawaii. I think his Dad started in the business by having ukes built in Viet Nam and having them imported to Hawaii. Tully took over when his Dad fell ill and started building them locally at a shop on Sand Island Access Rd. Business subsided as the economy went south and he moved his shop to a downtown location on Beretania St. Several years ago, he was assaulted and hospitalized. There were several threads on this. If I stated anything incorrectly, please feel free to set it straight.

Trying to remember the history as the website is no longer available. I believe the double pukas were special order and made in Hawaii. I think his Dad started in the business by having ukes built in Viet Nam and having them imported to Hawaii. Tully took over when his Dad fell ill and started building them locally at a shop on Sand Island Access Rd. Business subsided as the economy went south and he moved his shop to a downtown location on Beretania St. Several years ago, he was assaulted and hospitalized. There were several threads on this. If I stated anything incorrectly, please feel free to set it straight.

That is everything I remember. I'm not just saying that as a seller either (and I hope I have a reputation as a no-bull-crappity UUer).

Something I should note, this has a thick neck. Very thick. At the heel it almost feels like a baseball bat. I love it. Coming from a guitar background, I really like the chunkiness when I'm spending a lot of time on that part of the fretboard.

This is a really unique instrument...like I said. I. Love. This. Uke. It is, for real, painful for me to list. This is one that cannot be replaced once it is gone. It has a different voice, that can't be captured. It isn't a uke for the average person on the street. This is a ukulele for someone who is looking for something that very few people have.

That is everything I remember. I'm not just saying that as a seller either (and I hope I have a reputation as a no-bull-crappity UUer).

Something I should note, this has a thick neck. Very thick. At the heel it almost feels like a baseball bat. I love it. Coming from a guitar background, I really like the chunkiness when I'm spending a lot of time on that part of the fretboard.

This is a really unique instrument...like I said. I. Love. This. Uke. It is, for real, painful for me to list. This is one that cannot be replaced once it is gone. It has a different voice, that can't be captured. It isn't a uke for the average person on the street. This is a ukulele for someone who is looking for something that very few people have.

To further add to the authenticity that it was built in Hawaii--

We were on a Hawaiian cruise last September. We got off the ship on the Big Island (Kona) and a lady was playing one of these ukes in a small group, welcoming people as the got off the ship. I was drawn by the double sound hole, and had to ask her about it. She told me it was a Tangi, and she had bought off the maker several years back. She also said he no longer makes ukes.

It was funny because we stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up a few things before we turned in the car, and her group was playing in the McDonald's that was in the Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom