Kala Solid Acacia Tenor vs Oscar Schmidt OU27OSK Koa Concert

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I'm a total beginner and just started playing and taking Uke lessons 3 months ago....needless to say I'm hooked! My question is this: My first Uke is a Kala Solid Acacia Tenor set up for a lefty. It's really a sweet uke and I'm having alot of fun with it! A friend of mine came over to strum and she has an Oscar Schmidt solid Koa concert. I really liked the warm mellow tones of her uke (and she was a much more accomplished player)...I like to play solo fingerstyle and strumming songs- leaning more towards pop rock if that helps.... I'm considering buying the same Oscar as my friend and found a good deal on EBay. Am I taking a step up in quality? Is this just a lateral move? OR should I save me $$$ and buy a solid Koa from one of the Hawaiian makers?
Thanks so much for any input!!!!
Have a happy day!!!!!
Nancy

I had a OS tenor. It was the easiest uke to play. I'm sorry I sold it.

I have an OS OU5T Limited Edition and though it's a laminate, I play it the most by far. The 270 is only a solid top with laminate sides and back but the neck sure looks nice. I think it's between 300 and 400. I have found that the OS ukuleles I have played all seem to have action which is medium-low and very easy to play. That doesn't mean they are all like that, just the ones I have played. Volume wise they can be quiet but with a sweet tone.

But with all that being said, since you already have a Kala Solid Acacia, I think the OS 270 is a lateral move.

Kurt

I have an OU5 and it is sweet and resonant without much projection (with Aquila strings only so far). In my opinion, while the solid topped Oscar looks spiffy and has a lifetime guarantee, it isn't quite there with the Kala solid acacia unless the cosmetics are more appealing to you than other uke qualities. The 280 all solid koa might be a different story. The Oscar is a little mellow for pop/rock too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom