Customs when shipping uke to US from Europe?

gadha007

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what the situation is with customs when buying ukes from stores outside the US but being shipped to CONUS? Is it any different if you buy it used/second hand?

Thanks!

I have done this several times. Typically the shipping company will charge you a brokerage fee. This is a fee they charge for getting your package through Customs, and not duty or other customs fee. The fees accrues to the recipient, not the shipper. Unfortunately, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the fee is charged, it is not disclosed at the time of shipping, and the shipping company will want to get paid at delivery.

I bought my Baritone from Folkways Music in Canada. They handled all customs broker fees and it was built into shipping price. It arrived without a hitch.

Thanks for the information, guys. I'm specifically looking to buy a Risa from thommen. Anyone have any experience with them and how they deal with the customs situation? Anything else anyone knows about them?

That's in Germany isn't it? If they use DHL, then your shipping price would already include all taxes and custom fees you may have to pay.

Thanks for the information, guys. I'm specifically looking to buy a Risa from thommen. Anyone have any experience with them and how they deal with the customs situation? Anything else anyone knows about them?

That's in Germany isn't it? If they use DHL, then your shipping price would already include all taxes and custom fees you may have to pay.

Yeah, they are in Germany. So I just heard back from the guys over at Thommen and it appears that they use DHL but once it reaches the US, it's handed over to USPS for completion. What about people who have bought from Risa's from the Rick Sauger (sp?) himself? Was there any other customs fees that were tacked on later?

Best bet is to use postal services where you can.

Hi Rick, thanks for the input. Why do you say so, though? Also does that mean that this whole thing of shipping with DHL from one country which gets fulfilled by USPS is not a good option?

Also, in your experience, if I have a receipt for say 250$ (which is what the cost of the uke from thommen will be) on a uke shipped from outside the US, should I be expecting any additional fees once it hits the homeland? It's highly likely that I don't udnerstand this system completely, but then maybe the government wants it that way so that they can have some more of my money. :)

Last edited:
If I may ask this question within this thread but reversed from US to Canada... is it the same? As what it's been replied?

All I remember about buying my Risa from Germany is that I was worried because I couldn't get any response from the manufacturer once my order was placed. Worried for nothing. It arrived about when expected, and I incurred no additional charges beyond what I paid Risa. (The fact that it is a truly wonderful instrument is also a plus.)

Best bet is to use postal services where you can.

I agree. I've had good luck with Postal Services to/ from Canada and the UK. No extra broker fees, unlike UPS or FedEx. I've gotten lucky with no customs fees either.

Last edited:

Another option for the Risa, is, of course, USA retailer Uke Pua Pua in Hawaii. Truly nice people on the telephone when I called, great reputation, no customs or international shipping worries, and an authorized Risa dealer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-9WId4Tbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ai218-I5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXok9-d1GY

Top Bottom