FS: Maccaferri Baritone - $280 + shipping ($20 in N. America, $60 worldwide)

13down

Reaction score
I'm selling this Maccaferri Islander baritone with Martin Strings.

Since it's a Maccaferri, it's in about the same condition that it was in when it was new. Provided you don't set them on fire, it's hard to mess them up.

The friction tuners work as well as friction tuners can.

Price, including shipping, is $300 within the North American continent, and $340 to anywhere else.

This uke is good for volatile climates. There's no wood to worry about.

Maccaferri ukes were made out of polystyrene plastic, which is the same indesctructible material as bowling balls. This was the '50s, and plastic was a novelty substance of the future. It sounds good for a non-wood uke, and, in fact, it sounds as good as many cheaper wood ukes, to my ears (its sound is comparable to a budget Kala or Lanikai).

I'd love to keep this one on hand, but I live in NYC, and if you've ever visited someone there, you probably know how scarce living space can be. You can't even find an affordable apartment with an extra closet for my uke collection... let alone an extra room.

I thought of keeping this uke around for when I eventually move to a more livable city where apartments have space for multiple ukes... but I decided that it would be better to make some money and find this uke a better home with somebody who actually *does* have the space for a uke collection.

In the video, I mainly bar the fret up the length of the neck to demonstrate how good the intonation is. The sync is poor in the video, but trust me, that is indeed me playing. :)

I posted the photos of the uke to a Flickr gallery. I had trouble inserting the photos into this post, so I'm going to link to it.

I first thought of selling the uke back in March, which is why my timestamp photo says "Ukulele Underground 3/18/13".

Anyway, for the photo gallery, click here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjF8reBd

Last edited:
They probably thought that everything would be made of plastic here in "the future".... Hey is that a left-handed uke, or some trick of the video capture?

Baritone is too big for me, but I'm checking with a friend to see if he's interested.

Edited: Aw, he says no. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom