Off Grid? here's an idea....

Wow, that is pretty cool. I hope the dismembered bicycle didn't make Timbuck too sad :)

I was expecting the final build to be geared for speed using the chain and sprocket, but I suppose that would put the hand driving the crank pretty far away from the hand guiding the workpiece.

There are many flaws in this tool but it's the thinking behind the tool that really inspires me :)

Not a bad idea but I can't help thinking that it's much easier to mount a sanding plate/disc to a hand crank grinder. You immediately get the advantage of the gearing as well. I made a 'wheel' for the hand crank that I have, except that mine had the abrasive stuck to the edge - similar to an ordinary grind stone. I used it for doing the heads of wooden friction pegs. You can get quite a speed up with the gearing. Hand crank grinders can be had for little money too.

I don't see why, if you're going to destroy a bicycle, you don't just take advantage of pedal power...which is much stronger than one hand, and then have both hands free for guiding your work. It wouldn't be all that hard to run a bike chain to a right angle drive for a disc. There were/are foot treadle scroll saws, too.

I don't see why, if you're going to destroy a bicycle, you don't just take advantage of pedal power...which is much stronger than one hand, and then have both hands free for guiding your work. It wouldn't be all that hard to run a bike chain to a right angle drive for a disc. There were/are foot treadle scroll saws, too.

And lathes ;)

Very cool project, though it would IMHO have been more impressive if it had been built completely with hand tools.

"Does it bother anyone besides me that the mime is talking?"

Top Bottom