Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How in the world do you guys squish your fingers on a soprano for chords?

Default How in the world do you guys squish your fingers on a soprano for chords?

I dont exactly have the largest hands.
    In fact I have short fingers and about average finger fatness(LOL)
    I started out with a concert and for that scale I can squish my fingers close enough for an E chord.

But when its time to play my beater uke which is a soprano I cannot make it sound clean.

The 3 fingers cannot cleanly fit on the single fret they have to be on while my 4th finger si pressing on the 2nd fret.

D chord is easier because you can angle your fingers more in parallel to the frets but chords like E I just cannot fathom how normal adults can play those cleanly.

I see big guys playing their tiny sopranos on youtube and think how in the world is that even possible?!

Help!

Thanks. I'll try it but it seems like im asking for trouble if I barre an E chord with my ring finger and index finger at the 2nd fret.
    I might be wrong.

It'll come. Really.

E chord took me 4 years to get. I either changed a song to a different key, avoided the song, or substituted E7. Few group play-alongs use songs with E chords. There is an easier barre but I don't have a uke with me to ry it on - I think it is barrre 4, pinky on 7, but I might be wrong.

To play the harder version of E I played chords as follows, for 5 minutes per day:
    A E B E C E D E F E F E D E C E B E A
    A7 E B7 E etc...
    Am E Bm E etc...

I started that excercise in year four and it got me over the finish line for E.

By the way I have big fingers and the three finger D was a pain for me for one year, but now I can do it on a tiny sub-soprano uke. Keep at it!
    Last edited by Pondoro; 07-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipcmlr View Post
    I dont exactly have the largest hands.
    In fact I have short fingers and about average finger fatness(LOL)
    I started out with a concert and for that scale I can squish my fingers close enough for an E chord.

But when its time to play my beater uke which is a soprano I cannot make it sound clean.

The 3 fingers cannot cleanly fit on the single fret they have to be on while my 4th finger si pressing on the 2nd fret.

D chord is easier because you can angle your fingers more in parallel to the frets but chords like E I just cannot fathom how normal adults can play those cleanly.

I see big guys playing their tiny sopranos on youtube and think how in the world is that even possible?!

Help!
    My ring finger will lay down, so I usually cheat the E with the ring finger pressing the G and E strings and then the pinky on the C...
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

Well right now i'm either using the normal fingering for E or if i feel like it barre the 4th fret strings 2-4 with my thumb, index on 2nd fret 1st string.
    I can only do this thumb barre comfortably on a soprano. Concert feels awful.

Well right now i'm either using the normal fingering for E or if i feel like it barre the 4th fret strings 2-4 with my thumb, index on 2nd fret 1st string.
    I can only do this thumb barre comfortably on a soprano. Concert feels awful.
    Barres will come, it just takes time. Barres came a lot faster than the E chord for me.

Thanks. I'll try it but it seems like im asking for trouble if I barre an E chord with my ring finger and index finger at the 2nd fret.
    I might be wrong.
    Are you playing in D tuning ? Then the E is 2220 or 2225. In the first instance you only need the ring finger pressed down and backward bent at the joint to allow the 1st string to ring clearly; in the second instance the ring finger covers all the frets and the pinky the 5th fret of the 1st string. In either case it is a lot of practice if you have no prior experience with a guitar or mandolin. Don't give up as it is difficult. If you are in C tuning then the description fits the D chord.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mc View Post
    Are you playing in D tuning ? Then the E is 2220 or 2225. In the first instance you only need the ring finger pressed down and backward bent at the joint to allow the 1st string to ring clearly; in the second instance the ring finger covers all the frets and the pinky the 5th fret of the 1st string. In either case it is a lot of practice if you have no prior experience with a guitar or mandolin. Don't give up as it is difficult. If you are in C tuning then the description fits the D chord.
    I am in C tuning.
    I'm using my left hand for chords so if i were to attempt to barre it would be using my ring finger on the GCE strings with my index finger on the 2nd fret A string.

Thread Information