Thread: LR Baggs Lyric microphone/pickup?

Default LR Baggs Lyric microphone/pickup?

Has anyone ever used an LR Baggs Lyric internal microphone in a uke? I've heard they're good in guitars. Is there any reason why one *wouldn't* work in a uke?
    Last edited by 13down; 07-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    uke blog

https://bennyukes.blogspot.com

songs

https://soundcloud.com/bennypaul

videos (includes uke demos)

http://youtube.com/user/theschumanity

current ukes

Wunderkammer "Boswell" Tenor, Keiki Kamaka Soprano, Johnson UK-200 baritone, Kiwaya Famous FLS-1G, Cordoba 24T

former ukes

Martin 1T, Martin Oliver Ditson Dreadnought Soprano, Martin Baritone, Ohana SK-28, Ohana SK-25S, Favilla Baritone, Kala KA-FMBG, Luna Great Wave Concert, Mainland Red Cedar Baritone, Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor, Oscar Schmidt OU53, Oscar Schmidt OU57, Kiwaya Famous KTS-5 soprano, Ohana TK-38 tenor

Hi there. I know this is years later, but wonder whether you tried one, or found out useful infomation about using the Lyric on a uke from others, and whether you have any information to share with me about this. I am considering adding pickups to another uke or two and I am comsidering the Lyric. It seems like a good idea, but only if the electronics are compatible.
    Play uke, live long, and prosper!
    Current herd:
    Sopranos: Famous FS-7, mango Kamaka white label, sweet old Regal, Enya pineapple, Vintage Japanese Motoro pineapple
    Concerts: Myrtle Mya Moe, Koaloha, Cocobolo, Kevin Stillfield, Fred Shields Backpacker
    Tenors: mahogany Pono Pro Classic, koa Romero Creations Tiny Tenor
    Sopraninos: Two fun leetle Caramels,

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysis View Post
    Hi there. I know this is years later, but wonder whether you tried one, or found out useful infomation about using the Lyric on a uke from others, and whether you have any information to share with me about this. I am considering adding pickups to another uke or two and I am comsidering the Lyric. It seems like a good idea, but only if the electronics are compatible.
    I had one in my Taylor 812 grand concert guitar for a year or so. Very cool pick up and it sounds as advertised "like the guitar only louder". My understanding is they were designed from the ground up by Baggs as a solution for steel string guitars. The on board pre-amp employs noise canceling technology that cancels the boxy reflections inside the guitar. So with that said I doubt it would sound right with a uke, also the pick up body would be quite large compared to a uke. I would hope Baggs would take the technology and apply it to the uke eventually..
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

Oh I needed to correct this statement cause I was wrong, I thought I had the anthem in this uke but it is just the lyric. I was playing around with these a few years ago so I forgot. But yeah, sounds good, just the soundhole control mount is the wrong radius, wires need more mounting than necessary, it's not optimized for uke but it's good and I asked them to make a few times. Ask them to make it too please. It's actually a good sounding internal mic and that is hard to find.
    Last edited by AndrewKuker; 05-28-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: bad memory

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKuker View Post
    Oh I needed to correct this statement cause I was wrong, I thought I had the anthem in this uke but it is just the lyric. I was playing around with these a few years ago so I forgot. But yeah, sounds good, just the soundhole control mount is the wrong radius, wires need more mounting than necessary, it's not optimized for uke but it's good and I asked them to make a few times. Ask them to make it too please. It's actually a good sounding internal mic and that is hard to find.
    Very interesting, somehow I knew you would have tried it Andrew. Baggs makes great stuff and would love an internal mic system for uke that works well.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-29-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

My fantasy pick up would be a Uke sized Lyric with a rechargeable battery ala MiSi. Bring it Baggs!

Thanks Andrew for sharing the results of your experiment with the Lyric..
    Last edited by etudes; 05-29-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

Thread Information