Strings for Kamaka Ohta-san

quiltingshirley

Reaction score
I've had a bell shaped Kamaka concert (Ohta-san with spruce top) since early Jan and recently it started sounding "dull". I replaced the strings with the same type of Kamaka set it came with - standard Kamaka with their wound low G. It still sounds flat or dull, maybe even more than it did before the change. Any ideas for what I might use or try? This has always been my "go to" uke but not now. It doesn't sound anything like it used to. I don't care if the strings are wound or not as long as they sound good. (I've got 2 wound on my Pono Bari and 1 nonwound low G on my "noname" KOA concert which both sound good) There just seem to be lots of names to choose from these days. Seems there was some postings on strings awhile back but I can't locate them. Thanks.

Just changed the strings on my Kamaka concert (Ohta San cedar top) that I've had a couple of months now. Aquila strings were recommended to me so I ordered a low G set. They sound great!

Had a set of Fremont Blackline HT and put those on my Kamaka concert (3A). They sound good too!

I had the same problem with a K-brand (not kamaka). Sounded dull and flat. Would change strings out and it would sound great for a week or so, then dull and muted again. I tried Aquila, Worth, Martin & Fremont. Didn't seem to matter.

This is going to sound odd but after having those strings on a couple of days they're starting to sound much better. It's like they've settled in. I'd still like something that pops the sound more. I'm looking for clearer, sharper. I've never even heard of Fremont Blackline HT.

Top Bottom