Not your typical Pepe ROMERO TENOR – 2013 Spruce and Rosewood with Fan Bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

danersen

Reaction score
Sold

This ukulele has been sold.

Last edited:
Why someone would want to make beautiful bearclaw spruce look like bamboo is beyond me? Otherwise, it's a gorgeous uke at a great price. If the sound and structure is really not impacted, this is a steal. Good luck with the sale.

Why someone would want to make beautiful bearclaw spruce look like bamboo is beyond me? Otherwise, it's a gorgeous uke at a great price. If the sound and structure is really not impacted, this is a steal. Good luck with the sale.

Really. Kind of like someone winning a Gold medal and getting it Bronzed.

i am bewildered by this--how could this have happened? And what did the original owner do? I don't even understand how it's possible

Dear Friends,
As I mentioned in the listing, I don't know why or how the original owner did the modification.
But it still is a great ukulele and has served me very well, and will continue to serve me or someone else very well.
That someone will have to be accepting of the fact that people do things for their own reasons that we can't explain or that we don't necessarily understand.
But, in the case of this ukulele, it truly is not necessary to throw out the baby with the bath water.
Speculating on the owner's motivation or intent may be cathartic, intriguing, and/or frustrating, but it is also distracting from the fact that a very fine instrument can be acquired for much less than inferior ones by someone who can get beyond appearances to substance and simply accept it as it now is.
Some of us like body ink and piercings and jewelry; and others of us just don't understand why "somebody would do that."
Might we, perhaps, suspend the speculation and exasperation?
Be Well,
Dan

i am bewildered by this--how could this have happened? And what did the original owner do? I don't even understand how it's possible

well I would also add that I've played a Braz rosewood back/sides and spruce top pepe, and no matter what it looks like, even if someone etched it with pen marks, it is easily worth $1000. This is a rare rare opportunity that someone should jump on fast.

Dear Friends,
As I mentioned in the listing, I don't know why or how the original owner did the modification.
But it still is a great ukulele and has served me very well, and will continue to serve me or someone else very well.
That someone will have to be accepting of the fact that people do things for their own reasons that we can't explain or that we don't necessarily understand.
But, in the case of this ukulele, it truly is not necessary to throw out the baby with the bath water.
Speculating on the owner's motivation or intent may be cathartic, intriguing, and/or frustrating, but it is also distracting from the fact that a very fine instrument can be acquired for much less than inferior ones by someone who can get beyond appearances to substance and simply accept it as it now is.
Some of us like body ink and piercings and jewelry; and others of us just don't understand why "somebody would do that."
Might we, perhaps, suspend the speculation and exasperation?
Be Well,
Dan

That is really strange... I had a cedar top, steel-string, guitar that did that naturally but only around where my pick wore the surface (i.e. on both treble bouts and round the sound hole) because I can be pretty hard on a guitar - at least one with a soft cedar top. Cedar is quite soft between the grain marks so wears to a washboard like appearance. But...all over? And spruce?

I can say that in the case of my guitar the wear didn't affect the sound in the least - or maybe even made it better. That is one of only two instruments I've owned that have clearly "opened up" in the first few months that I owned them...

John

Reminds me of the "Blueberry" ukuleles with the etched tops. I think the theory is that it thins the top to make it more responsive but retains its structural integrity so it resists splitting.

well I would also add that I've played a Braz rosewood back/sides and spruce top pepe, and no matter what it looks like, even if someone etched it with pen marks, it is easily worth $1000. This is a rare rare opportunity that someone should jump on fast.

While I am sure this is a great deal, I don't see any mention in the original specification that this is Brazilian Rosewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom