Kamaka or Kanile'a?

me either and the closed ones, on my kamaka at least, keep them in tune better.

I feel like dust and debris may collect in open tuners.

all i can say is up to to you!the only difference that i know of is the construction (kanalea has a new frame design as apposed to kamakas traditional) they both look sweet and sound the same so like i said, up to you.( i would take the kamaka because i hate pegs on ukes and guitars. thats just me.)

I'm sure Kanilea would do it in a tie-style bridge if you wanted it that way.

You can get Kanile'a ukulele with any tuners you want...you can customise every aspect. They have a whole page showing the dfferent tuners they will put on yours. Mine has closed tuners. Grover Black Nickel closed tuners.

attachment.php

kamaka has a very nice, warm, sound to it.

Yes its a little bit more money but it would be a great quality ukulele.

get a nice koa tenor ukulele and it will sound nice, regardless of who makes it(sometimes)

if you are going to get a tenor uke and you want a more beautiful sound though, get the koa tenor, but with aquila low G strings for a nice soothing sound.

Iz used that and boy, everyone loved it!

if you have the money, go kamaka.

heck with 1k go custom!

do they make Kanile'a's (?) with closed tuners?

Joe will build what ever you want, though I believe that they use the open tuners because the weight on the headstock can make it uncomfortable to play, if you play a ko'olau or a say a Ogata with a lot of bling and a bigger body its not such a big deal but on a plain kanile'a which are really light it does have some effect.

I'm sure Kanilea would do it in a tie-style bridge if you wanted it that way.

They will I think its ~125$ extra

me either and the closed ones, on my kamaka at least, keep them in tune better.

Its full of grease it should turn smoother but hold the same, there is not construction difference when I have taken them apart. A quick blow out with compressed air and a little bit of shock oil and it should run like new.

I'm still deciding. its kinda a big purchase.
Thanks for all of your help!

Moak

Mossy,
I don't know if this is relevant, but since you're on the fence...

I just got my new Kamaka HF3 a couple days ago and I LOVE it. The quality is everything I expected and more, the sound is awesome, and it looks beautiful (as long as you're not hung up on the fact that it doesn't have all the purfling and decorative stuff, which I'm not). It seems lighter than my other tenor too, but that might be in my head.

Top Bottom