Black Bear Soprano - Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood - Sunburst Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

specialk13

Reaction score
Up for sale is my Black Bear soprano made in March of 2013. This one has a German spruce top over Brazilian Rosewood (which was supplied by me) and a vintage inspired sunburst finish and ivoroid bindings. The spruce and rosewood are both well aged and were cut to instrument sized pieces 30 plus years ago then stored in a controlled environment for all this time.
The neck is mahogany with a Brazilian rosewood headstock overlay and fretboard. The tuners are the new Gotoh UPT planetary models and they work exceptionally well.
The sound of this uke is very deep and resonant, you can feel every note when you play it and it really comes alive when you strum it. it's a fun uke with a very clear and balanced sound and a complimentary amount of warmth as well. The action is nice and low without buzzing and it plays well all over the fretboard.
Overall, the uke is in excellent shape and pretty much just as I received it from Duane. There are a few light strum marks that show up in the right light though. The finish is the standard matte nitro lacquer and you can see some swirl marks in the top where the black color is but that's from Duane's finishing process from when it was new and could be buffed to a shine if you wanted.

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice uke. How come you are selling it after owning it for only six months?

It's mesmerising.. good luck with the sale!

No more pics, no more pics, my credit card can't take it!

Egad, that is beautiful! I dream of sunburst finishes. :) Shame I'm on the wrong side of the world.

I'm selling because I have another little uke coming......you know how it goes, I have to make some room!
I couldn't ask for a better soprano though, this one has a great tone and it's not even played-in yet.

Looks like a very nice uke. How come you are selling it after owning it for only six months?

Little bump for an amazing deal on a very cool uke. I was very close to purchasing but regrettably had to pull out (sorry again Erik). Even after backing out, Ive looked at the pics a dozen times today. This Black Bear reminds me of mini versions of the classic Gibson Nick Lucas... a "holy grail" for many acoustic guitar players.
Hope someone who likes to post videos grabs this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom