Figuring out the scale on the fretboard

lchunleo

Reaction score
hi,

i have a few questions:

1) Does C has a ascending tone from "open" string C (from left) -> 3rd fret (1st string) -> etc.. to 12 fret (2nd string)"?
but 12 fret (2nd string) isnt it equal to open C?

2) How to play notes that are lower than middle C (3rd fret (1st string)) when we see them in the music sheet? E.g. Does lower A and B is played with 4th string (fret 2 and fret 4)?

3) from one c (open C) to the end of the C (fret 12), is there five octaves?

4) How to visualize the fretboard all the sequences of the notes with respect to the piano keyboard? Is it true that the 4th string (from left to right) is the first octave, then 3rd string (from left to right) is the second octave and so on to the 1st string?

thanks for clarifying.: D

Hmmmm, let me know as soon as you find out :confused:

1) Does C has a ascending tone from "open" string C (from left) -> 3rd fret (1st string) -> etc.. to 12 fret (2nd string)"?
Correct - 12th fret is always an octave above the open string.

2) How to play notes that are lower than middle C (3rd fret (1st string)) when we see them in the music sheet? E.g. Does lower A and B is played with 4th string (fret 2 and fret 4)?
If you have a "standard" (i.e. re-entrant tuning) uke where the 4th string is higher than the C string, then C is the lowest note you can play. However, you can often get away with playing that A or B on the 4th string and they will just sound an octave higher. Also, if you put a "low G" string as the 4th string, you can play that A or B as written.

No. 12 notes is one complete octave.

4) How to visualize the fretboard all the sequences of the notes with respect to the piano keyboard? Is it true that the 4th string (from left to right) is the first octave, then 3rd string (from left to right) is the second octave and so on to the 1st string?
No, the strings are not tuned in octaves. Here is a map of all the notes:
http://www.ukulelestrummers.com/Ukefretboard.html

Hope this helps,
Jim

Thanks from an old strummer Jim. My ageing brain has always approached music/fretboard theory as a math problem......poorly. I've seen this site, but your explanation helps. Thanks again.

Jim, thanks for that layout of the fret. It's great. (Clear and easy to see) Don't suppose you also have one for the baritone??

Thanks so much for they layout. It's pretty easy to figure it out if you know wwwhwwh (w = 2 half steps), but it sure is easier to see with a chart.

Stan

I'm pretty sure it's WWH,WWWH -- for a plain old regular octave that is.

I'm pretty sure it's WWH,WWWH -- for a plain old regular octave that is.

Exactly. Another way to look at it, which is how I was taught when I was seven years old, was 2-2-1-2-2-2-1 - in other words, to play a scale on one string you go up in increments of either 2 frets or 1 fret.

Of course now I play moveable scales, such as these:

scales.jpg

Which I lifted from here (PDF) - I can't take credit for diagramming these, but someone did a good job.

Before anything else, you should take a good look at that fretboard map that Jim linked. I think you are confused about the tuning of the strings and their order. Assuming you have tuned your uke in standard tuning, the lowest tuned string is the 3rd one (counting from the bottom if you are holding the uke in playing position and are right handed), and it´s a C. The second lowest string is the 2nd string, and it´s an E four semitones above the 3rd string. Then comes the 4th, with a G 3 semitones above the 2nd, and finally the 1st, with an A 2 semitones above the 4th.

Not exactly, the 12th fret on the 2nd string is an E, not a C. Let´s try to picture this as a wave or an arrow going from the headstock to the bridge.
The lowest C on your uke is the one on the open 3rd string. We´ll call that C4 (because it´s on the 4th octave of a piano).
Going one octave up from C4 we have C5, and it can be played on the 3rd fret of the 1st string, 8th fret of the 2nd string, 12th fret of the 3rd string, and 5th fret of the 4th string (see how it kind of looks like an arrowhead?).
Then the higher C is C6, and the arrow has to move 12 more frets towards the bridge. You don´t have so many frets on the 2nd and 3rd strings, so you can´t play it on them, but it is on the 15th fret of the 1st string and the 17th fret of the 4th.
Try to fret the 8th fret on the 2nd string and the 15th of the 1st string and play those two strings as well as the open 3rd in succession, when you hear it you will understand why they are not the same, even if they are all Cs.

This question is why I think you are confused. 3rd fret of the 1st string is not the lowest not on the uke, so you have a whole octave below that note that you can play. The lowest is the C on the 3rd string when you play it open. To be precise, that is the one called middle C (even if it´s the lowest on the uke, it´s in the middle of a piano keyboard, that´s why it´s called that).
If you mean how to play notes lower than THAT C, then the simple answer is you don´t. As Jim said, you can try playing them one the 4th string, but they will be higher and you have to decide if it sound good or not (it will depend on the song).
There is another option, which is to transpose the whole song. That means changing all the notes so they are higher and there is none lower than middle C. Most music notation software can do that for you.

See my answer to your first question. There´s only two octaves on a ukulele (from C4 to C6; if your uke has more than 15th frets then you have two octaves and a bit).

Visualizing sequences of notes on stringed instruments is the biggest challenge for those of us that learned our scales on a piano or other linear instrument. I´m still struggling with it. The thing is that most notes can be played in different places of the fretboard. Which one is best will depend on the song and just what is most comfortable for our hands. While you could do a C major scale on just the 3rd string, it´s probably a better idea to switch to the 2nd and 1st strings at some point. On top of the fretboard map Jim gave you, this forum post can help you too: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?9272-Uke-Scales-Three-Notes-Per-String-Method

Last edited:
thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and kind sharing, think i have to digest it bit by bit...

btw, may i ask one burning question of mine? normally when we see a piece and it is indicated to be played in e.g. F Major scale, what does it meant? What i understood that F Major is a change of B to B flat but in a music score, it meant that all B is played as B flat. Although i know that the base / tonic is changed to reference from F and the B is changed to B flat, but from what i see, it is still "almost" the same thing. C note is still played as C note (String 3, open). oh my, i am getting confused..

thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and kind sharing, think i have to digest it bit by bit...

btw, may i ask one burning question of mine? normally when we see a piece and it is indicated to be played in e.g. F Major scale, what does it meant? What i understood that F Major is a change of B to B flat but in a music score, it meant that all B is played as B flat. Although i know that the base / tonic is changed to reference from F and the B is changed to B flat, but from what i see, it is still "almost" the same thing. C note is still played as C note (String 3, open). oh my, i am getting confused..

Not sure I understand your question. Maybe you can rephrase. Are you trying to ask - what does it mean when a song is played in the key of F?

This question is why I think you are confused. 3rd fret of the 1st string is not the lowest not on the uke, so you have a whole octave below that note that you can play. The lowest is the C on the 3rd string when you play it open. To be precise, that is the one called middle C (even if it´s the lowest on the uke, it´s in the middle of a piano keyboard, that´s why it´s called that).
If you mean how to play notes lower than THAT C, then the simple answer is you don´t. As Jim said, you can try playing them one the 4th string, but they will be higher and you have to decide if it sound good or not (it will depend on the song).
There is another option, which is to transpose the whole song. That means changing all the notes so they are higher and there is none lower than middle C. Most music notation software can do that for you.

thanks Fermin for your concise explanation, but does playing in F Major helps in that "transposing" to allow lower notes to be played? i am trying to figure fragmented information in my head from what i had read..

Last edited:
Not sure I understand your question. Maybe you can rephrase. Are you trying to ask - what does it mean when a song is played in the key of F?

thanks, yes, does it meant that all the B is played as B flat? is it as simple as this?

thanks, yes, does it meant that all the B is played as B flat? is it as simple as this?

Yes, it's that simple. You may be over-complicating things. These rules (which change the note pitches) apply to all instruments and singing. You use the key of F as an example. In the key of F the only note that's not played in the same pitch as the C scale is B which has to be played as Bb for the scale to sound right. There's also a key of Bb where both B and E are flats. I'm not a piano player, but for me it's easier to see the different Keys and scales on a piano/keyboard. If you can get access to someone's piano, you might want to try some scales in different keys to see why WWWHWWH is what the scale notes need to be. "An Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" is the book I use for most of my music theory questions. YMMV

It's worth learning some music theory to help understand how music is structured. Someone's already suggested a book. You could also look at Music Theory for Dummies. It's available on Amazon.

FYI; In the UK we use the terms tone & semitone for whole & half step. So a scale is TTSTTTS.

Top Bottom