Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uke Minutes 34 - Buying an Ukulele

Default Uke Minutes 34 - Buying an Ukulele

Hey people! This week's episode of Uke Minutes is up and running!

Uke Minutes 34 - Buying an Ukulele

Primarily for those of you who are looking into buying an ukulele for the first time, but overall, good things to note no matter what number ukulele you're on (or what stage of UAS you are currently in ).

Questions, ideas, opinions, thoughts? Share your triumphs or horror stories here. Your experience could positively influence the next UUer's ukulele purchase, so go ahead and post away!

Great episode!

I bought a Kamoa soprano from Sam at Larry's Music in Koloa this summer. They really are a great value. Even the untrained ear can tell the difference between a souvenir uke and a real instrument.
    A lot of tourists in Hawai'i make the mistake of buying a decorative uke from ABC or a souvenir shop, only to find out that it doesn't sound good or play well. Sound really is the most important part, and good intonation can make or break a cheap uke. I'd take an ugly uke with a good sound over a colorful shiny one any day, and I hope most beginning players take this episode to heart when buying their first instrument.

Only thing I didn't totally agree with was the part about tuners. Geared tuners are a plus for beginning players, but not totally necessary (if you have a screwdriver handy!).

Great episode. I'm visiting Kauai this May and can't wait to check out Larry's Music. I was drooling at all the beautiful ukuleles on the wall. I did a quick google for his store and came up with a Larry's Music in Koloa on Koloa Rd. and a Larry's Music Center in Kapaa on Kuhio Highway.

I'm happy to trek out to both, but rather than bore my Mom to death by dragging her to not one, but TWO uke stores (after I'm already dragging her to Kaneohe and the Kanilea factory on Oahu), can I ask: which one was this filmed at? Larry's Music in Koloa or Larry's Music Center in Kapaa?
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
    Great episode. I'm visiting Kauai this May and can't wait to check out Larry's Music. I was drooling at all the beautiful ukuleles on the wall. I did a quick google for his store and came up with a Larry's Music in Koloa on Koloa Rd. and a Larry's Music Center in Kapaa on Kuhio Highway.

I'm happy to trek out to both, but rather than bore my Mom to death by dragging her to not one, but TWO uke stores (after I'm already dragging her to Kaneohe and the Kanilea factory on Oahu), can I ask: which one was this filmed at? Larry's Music in Koloa or Larry's Music Center in Kapaa?
    where are you staying in Kauai?

Quote Originally Posted by upskydowncloud View Post
    where are you staying in Kauai?
    My mom has a timeshare in Kauai. So we always stay at the Point at Poipu (formerly Embassy Suites Poipu) when we go - my favorite week of the year. We rent a car and usually always drive at least to Kapaa (once in a while venturing out to Waimea or Princeville).

I own a travel agency so I do a lot of traveling, but as much as I enjoy going to visit Europe or Asia, or other cities in the US, Kauai is still my favorite place on Earth.

Mmm, I can almost taste a frozen mai tai at Keoki's right now! How much longer is it until May???

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just excited about visiting Larry's while I'm there.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
    My mom has a timeshare in Kauai. So we always stay at the Point at Poipu (formerly Embassy Suites Poipu) when we go - my favorite week of the year. We rent a car and usually always drive at least to Kapaa (once in a while venturing out to Waimea or Princeville).

I own a travel agency so I do a lot of traveling, but as much as I enjoy going to visit Europe or Asia, or other cities in the US, Kauai is still my favorite place on Earth.

Mmm, I can almost taste a frozen mai tai at Keoki's right now! How much longer is it until May???

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just excited about visiting Larry's while I'm there.
    we filmed this episode at the Kapaa store. Kauai music and sounds is also located in Kapaa.

I used to work at the pool at Embassy Suites. Worked there for a good two years.
    GET AWESOME!
    Eater of all chocolate.
    YouTube UkuleleOVERSOUL

In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D

Quote Originally Posted by haole View Post
    Great episode!

I bought a Kamoa soprano from Sam at Larry's Music in Koloa this summer. They really are a great value. Even the untrained ear can tell the difference between a souvenir uke and a real instrument.
    A lot of tourists in Hawai'i make the mistake of buying a decorative uke from ABC or a souvenir shop, only to find out that it doesn't sound good or play well. Sound really is the most important part, and good intonation can make or break a cheap uke. I'd take an ugly uke with a good sound over a colorful shiny one any day, and I hope most beginning players take this episode to heart when buying their first instrument.

Only thing I didn't totally agree with was the part about tuners. Geared tuners are a plus for beginning players, but not totally necessary (if you have a screwdriver handy!).
    for beginners, in my opinion, will have an easier time with geared tuners. Friction tuners are fine but a little bit more difficult to tune.
    GET AWESOME!
    Eater of all chocolate.
    YouTube UkuleleOVERSOUL

I can dig that. Still, good friction tuners are nothing to be afraid of.

Is Kaua'i Music and Sound in the old Bounty Music building? I know Bounty closed and was turning into something else. XD

Quote Originally Posted by haole View Post
    Is Kaua'i Music and Sound in the old Bounty Music building? I know Bounty closed and was turning into something else. XD
    Yes, I believe you are correct.
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

Dominator Ukulele Tabs
    Dominator on MySpace
    Dominator on Youtube
    --------------------------------------
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

Great episode! I wanna go shopping with Aldrine!
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Thread Information