Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UAS question

Default UAS question

So I bought my son and I a couple of ukes while visiting the north shore.
    Took them back to the hotel and began learning to play (April 4 months ago)
    A tattoo and an islander.

A few days later, I came across a koa sonny d concert.
    So I shipped 3 home.

Once back, I found a nice kamaka tenor and then a concert. Then a really nice no name koa tenor. I'm really having fun with these. I bought an eBay pineapple from Vietnam...can't think of the guys name now but he has been discussed here. Sounds way better after 2 months of playing than it did to start with. My playing is still really basic though.

The sound difference is pretty amazing between the different ukes. The Sonny D is by far my best. Now I'm thinking of a Martin or a better Kamaka, i think those Kamaka pineapples look GREAT!
    What has very good sound in the 500 to 1,000 range?

Hippie Dribble Guest

ha ha JB! Great post! That's so funny...man there are a ridiculous number of awesome ukes 500-1000 it's hard to know where to start exactly. But you can get some cool custom ukes in that bracket as well as great factory models. "If" I had UAS and I was in that range I'd be going Black Bear, Covered Bridge, Ono, Donaldson, Timms (all members here too). I'd also be looking at second hand Mya Moe, Martin, Pohaku, perhaps a Collings if you're lucky. As far as other factory models go you're in virtual K brand territory there as well. Anyway...there's a few to get you started! Decisions decisions! Cheers mate

who's looking for kamakas???? he he http://honolulu.craigslist.org/searc...inAsk=&maxAsk=
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Quote Originally Posted by JB in Alabama View Post
    Koaloha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JB in Alabama View Post
    I bought an eBay pineapple from Vietnam...can't think of the guys name now but he has been discussed here. Sounds way better after 2 months of playing than it did to start with.

Bruce Wei. And that's your ear turning to tin to match the uke.

KoAloha. Yes.

Koaloha are probably the sweet spot for price/quality in that price range. I don't think anyone has ever regretted buying one.

Ukuleles from the smaller boutique makers can also be a great value in that price range. Your Sonny D fits in that category. The only issue with the boutique makers is that there is always a posibility that the unique character of the one you get may not be your cuppa-tea. My new Kenny Hill (Ukebrand) soprano turned out to be a spectacular winner, at an EBay auction price of $350 (too bad for me that shipping it from USA to my home in Canada added another $110 to the todal cost!) I also scored with my 5-string Ceniza by T & K, another high-end hawaiian made koa uke that was bargain priced online. Eddie Vedder even used one just like it on his recent CD.
    Allan

Frequently Played
    National Triolian
    Godin Multi-Uke
    Kala 5-String
    Martin Style 2
    Koaloha Sceptre
    Other Instruments
    Harmonica, Lap Steel, Flute, Guitar

Thanks guys! Turning to tin....humm.

Ill look around!
    The Martins are interesting but the really don't look nearly as good as the koa that I've seen.
    A friend has a nice one I'm going to try out. I bought the Martin book to read this weekend for a better understanding.

Maya moe is interesting too!
    I have seen a couple of Koalohas, one I saw looked like it was not solid wood so I backed away.

Any other suggestions?

Did you see a Koaloha, or a Kohala?

Now I'm not sure! I think I took a photo, ill look!

You can't go wrong with a slightly used[or new] K brand. Kamaka for the mojo ,Koaloha for the sound, , and Kanilea for the looks. they all sound great, just my 2 cents about their strong points.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thread Information