Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a tenor/concert uke for less than 200

yeah, I am okay with either. Sorry, Just not a soprano, I already have one. I looked at the 250 one, but Im thinking it might be too much considering the cool ukuleles i've seen. I'm leaning towards the one from ebay, the islander tenor, the riptide dual soundhole acacia, and the luna maluhia.

The pictures of the Lanikai are generic. They (Butler) bought a close out model. So the pictures are not of the uke that you will receive. But you will be hard pressed to find a solid wood uke for under $225, let alone one with built in electronics for less than $150.

If your heart is set on buying from HMS the Islander ukes offer excellent quality and value, though the ones in your price range will be laminate.

Well, I purchased the lanikai. It was too good of a deal to pass up, and I'll just have to think of the pictures not being the same as what i receive as a surprise. Thanks so much! I'll post back here at some point with a picture of it, and most likely telling you how great of an idea it was to get it lol. Now time to read more about solid wood ukes!

Consider www.pilikoko.com. Solid woods, good quality at a good price.
    My 4-String Family:
    Kamoa E3 Pineapple Soprano
    Martin S-O (given to my brother for Christmas with the stipulation he learns to play it)
    Early-70s Kamaka Soprano
    KPK Acacia Concert (given to a friend for his birthday because he wanted to learn to play ukulele)
    KPK Deluxe Long Neck Acacia Pineapple Soprano
    Gretsch Concert Resonator
    Lanikai O-8 Spruce/Ovangkol 8 String Tenor
    and various guitars

Congrats on the new uke. Is it the spruce top from Mim?

If so that should have a bright sound and she'll make sure it's good. Post some pics when you get it

Quote Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
    Well, I purchased the lanikai.
    That was quick.

For your next uke (oh, you know there'll be another), I'd suggest taking your time and checking out used offerings, such as the Marketplace here. You'll get more bang for your buck.

If you keep an eye out, something might pop up that's just what you're looking for at a great price.

I've bought five ukes thru the MP and never had a bad experience.

its the tenor electric/acoustic from butler, its solid mahogany, with a rosewood fretboard.

And yeah, I kinda felt it was a bit of a hasty decision on my part too. But I'm sure I'll love it, and if I don't, there's always the option to return it. I don't think that will happen though. Once I get more comfortable with the community here, I'll most likely buy something from here. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with the ukulele fever and have to hold myself from too many impulse buys.
    Last edited by needmorecowbell; 08-25-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
    And yeah, I kinda felt it was a bit of a hasty decision on my part too.
    Gee, like no one here has ever done something like that before! You're gonna fit right it.

Now, for your next uke........

Haha dont tempt me! I'll be shopping by Christmas if that happens! I just need to keep myself busy with other uke related projects, like learning how to paint my old uke as I see other people do.

Interesting. I tried a spruce top. Heck, I tried every instrument in my price range, plus a few that were WAY out of my price range to be sure I wasn't mishearing what I thought I was hearing.

In a soprano, I thought the solid spruce top was too strident, and wound up with a walnut-finished laminate, but I was thinking, "You know with a Low-G tenor or a Bari, that might be just the thing."
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Thread Information