When string changes go bad...

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have just changed the strings on my KoAlana concert. My very sweet uke has gone dull. The new strings are a different brand than the stock strings. They feel thicker and tighter than the stock strings. The result is that the sound has gone from balanced, bright, and loud to a quieter mumble. I can replace the strings. What I want to know is how the characteristics of the strings translate into the sound of the 'ukulele?

What should I expect if tension is higher? Lower?

Does a thicker string need higher or lower tension to tune to the same note as a thinner one?

My KoAlana is a very light instrument. I have a Pono tenor that is built like a battleship by comparison.

Do the heavier/tighter strings "overdrive" the soundboard?

This is all part of my learning curve.

Try a set of Worth CL (clear light) strings. I believe they will restore the sound you like so much.

A builder is going to put on strings that are going to make their ukes play and sound in a way that hopefully makes you go WOW. While there are plenty of options you might want to replace them with a new set of the original strings- they have already done the research for you.

Regards

Top Bottom