$150-$200 dollar concert Uke for a complete string instrument beginner

Ukulele-uk

Reaction score
Hi everybody

Looking to join this amazing Ukulele family but am having a real tough time deciding on my starter Uke.

I want to spend up too $200 absolute maximum and have never played a string instrument before, so playability is key along with sound of coarse.

I have been looking at the concert size of either Kala, Ohana or Mainland, as this great site has led me to believe these are the best makes for my price range.

Cant wait to hear all your opinions on which make of Uke i should get. P.S I'm in the UK

Happy Ukuleleing:cool:

Last edited:
Best bet is to find a local trafficker...er dealer...and play a bunch of ukes. Bring a chord cheat sheet with C, F, and G on it.

One of them will be the Right One.

Do you have access to a local dealer who offers a lot of choices? I've heard good things about Kala, Ohana and Mainland. I have an Ohana concert and love it.

A Flea or a Fluke for the following reasons:
1. Perfect setup
2. Easy to play
3. Sounds good
4. Fun
5. Very very very durable
6. Great resale
7. Made in the USA

out of those 3 I'd go for a Mainland. are you in the UK? If you are patient , you can but a used better quality one here on UU in your price range. they pop up all the time. you can save some $ that way and get a better instrument you know is set up right. A UU member has a Lanikai S-C for sale over on FMM for $90 shipped. I have a baritone of this same model, solid spruce top, it looks and plays like a much more expensive uke. You might PM him and ask about it. they go for about $150 new.
https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/Default.asp

Last edited:
Yes, i am from the uk. Would buy used if a great deal came up, but i want to age it myself as i love the idea of developing with it!

For that price range, Kala hands down. They sound great right out of the box . They sound better the more that you play them. I have a concert and just ordered a soprano. I have a Mainland soprano that I will end up selling. It has a muted sound and doesn't come close to the rich bright sound that my Kala has. My 2 1/2 cents.

Seems my limit has now evolved to $300!:rolleyes: More specifically i am looking at either of these Ukes:
Mainland USA Mainland Mango Concert Gloss
Kala KA-MCG Concert Ukulele Curly Mango High Gloss Finish
Ohana CK35GS Concert

Opinions? Good selection?

Last edited:
Thanks!

I really like what people say about the Kala's and would save me some $$$

There are lots of avid Midland fans though that are making this decision difficult :eek:

By the way, Ukulele-uk, welcome to Ukulele Underground! I have a concert Ohana 50-CK and really love it. I've read lots of good things about Kala as well as Mainland. I bet you can find something in your price range.

Thanks Ukejenny, happy to be here:D, problem im having is that i cant find a UK dealer that holds all three makes for testing.

Also, Is it true that the solid wood Ukes take a lot of maintenance compared to the solid tops?

Thanks Ukejenny, happy to be here:D, problem im having is that i cant find a UK dealer that holds all three makes for testing.

Also, Is it true that the solid wood Ukes take a lot of maintenance compared to the solid tops?

The more seasoned members here can do a better job of answering questions, as I am a novice still. I have an all solid instrument and my kids have laminates. I much prefer the sound of the solid instruments. As far as maintenance, I think keeping the humidity adjusted is the only major worry. But, again, I may not know of other things.

Seems my limit has now evolved to $300!:rolleyes: More specifically i am looking at either of these Ukes:
Mainland USA Mainland Mango Concert Gloss
Kala KA-MCG Concert Ukulele Curly Mango High Gloss Finish
Ohana CK35GS Concert

Opinions? Good selection?

These are all good choices. I have a Mainland Mango Concert Gloss, and a Kala Mango Tenor and several Ohanas. All good ukes for the money. I would consider a Concert neck Flea as well, if there is one around for you to try. If you can play one before you buy it, do so. Each one will have a different tone.

–Lori

Whatever you do, buy from a reputable dealer who will do a quality set-up on an instrument. MIM's Ukes, or Hawaii Music Supply (HMS), or Mike at Mainland, or Uke Republic. Or buy a Flea/ Fluke as they're all already perfectly set-up. A good set-up will make it that much easier and funner to play.

Thanks for your input Lori, Which do you prefer out of the Mainland and Kala out of interest? Sounds like Ohana is your preferred make overall.

Ok, new update is its between the Ohana CK20's, Kala KA or spend the extra for a mainland. what u think?

Last edited:
The Mainland vs the Ohana CK35. Pretty much equals. You can get the Ohana locally, easier. Probably get a good deal from SouthernUkulele in the UK...and they do good setups as well.

Top Bottom