The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i would post this on Geoff's current season,
though as i recorded it several years back i'm posting it here.
unfortunately i have developed some degenerative physical issues throughout this year,
specifically being numbness in my left hand from the tip of my pinkie to my wrist
and 1/2 the ring finger. i've been muddling through for a few months now
but it has come to the point i just can't play/fret anymore.
it's scary and sad for me to say the least. likely it is peripheral neuropathy
as a consequence of living for 35 years w/ insulin dependent diabetes
and the way i have abused my body for too many years.
i guess the chickens are coming home to roost.
simply, i've lost all feeling and strength in my left hand.
i had to get my son to cut my right hand fingernails last week as i couldn't use the clippers.
i'm seeing my doc next week to see what, if anything can be done to mitigate things,
at least slow them down. seems like i might be writing poetry again as opposed
to writing and playing music. sad times.
this is a Billie Holiday song.

Hi Jon, I don’t often peek into the Island thread so only just saw your post from late October. I hope your visit with the doctor went ok. I’m sorry about your hand. I just wanted to say that watching and listening to you play, especially when I first picked up a ukulele, has been an inspiration. Before watching you play I didn’t think what you do was possible.

Even if you are unable to play anymore I hope you pop into the seasons once in a while. And I’m unbelievably grateful to you for having shared so much of your gift with us.

(I also now feel like I should clarify, you are still an inspiration.)

Last edited:
i would post this on Geoff's current season,
though as i recorded it several years back i'm posting it here.
unfortunately i have developed some degenerative physical issues throughout this year,
specifically being numbness in my left hand from the tip of my pinkie to my wrist
and 1/2 the ring finger. i've been muddling through for a few months now
but it has come to the point i just can't play/fret anymore.
it's scary and sad for me to say the least. likely it is peripheral neuropathy
as a consequence of living for 35 years w/ insulin dependent diabetes
and the way i have abused my body for too many years.
i guess the chickens are coming home to roost.
simply, i've lost all feeling and strength in my left hand.
i had to get my son to cut my right hand fingernails last week as i couldn't use the clippers.
i'm seeing my doc next week to see what, if anything can be done to mitigate things,
at least slow them down. seems like i might be writing poetry again as opposed
to writing and playing music. sad times.
this is a Billie Holiday song.

Oh man - this is devastating. So sorry to hear this news... your playing is a gift to us all/ BEST BEST BEST wishes for a recovery, Jon

Popping in with a River song before Tootler's Season ends. It was recorded 3 weeks ago (I anticipated the theme lol!) so isn't eligible for the actual Season. I send it out to all Hoosiers (who will all know why when they hear the melody).

Down in Yon Forest. A traditional carol. A manuscript from sometime after 1450 was found during the restoration of an old house in 1862. A virtually unchanged version was collected in Castleton, Derbyshire by Vaughan Williams in 1908. I love the modal melody which along with the lyrics speak of a long gone era.

I bought myself a birthday present. Can you guess what it is? :)
This seemed an appropriate way to try it out. It's quite hard to put down, but I have to go to a meeting shortly, which is far too much like a grown up.

Hopefully I'll have something more appropriate for the bleeding season soon.

Well, Chris667 beat me to this one for Season #467, so I'll post it here.

I don't know if it's generally considered bad form to post a song more than once, but personally I don't see a problem with hearing different people's takes on something. Apart from anything else, it would be a bit annoying to spend all week working on something then find someone else beat you to it by a few minutes!

This is a great song for the uke, and I enjoyed both your version and Chris667's.

There are often more renditions of the same song.
It is more fun to be the first to post it, but no harm in posting second.
Prior to KohanMikes post about "fly me to the moon", I had kind of expected it to become a theme song with 3+ renditions, but it seems that people stay clear of it now from fear of taking someone elses song. It shouldnt work that way.
I have sometimes changed my song choice if it has been done, but not refrained from doing the same song if I allready did the work of learning it.

when I first started on the seasons I would shy away from doing a song that somebody else had done but as time went on I realised how much fun it can be to see and hear different versions of the same song and it's especially great if we end up with a sort of season theme song that's very popular and that lots of people do... when I hosted my yeah baby season we had so many covers of Britney Spears hit me baby one more time that I set up a separate playlist for it and it was so great to hear everybody bring it in their own way!

I wanted to make "LET IT BLEED" by The Rolling Stones be the official theme song for the recently departed Season 466.
It is a fairly easy three or four chord song in the key of C!
I was stoked!
I did remember some of the creamier parts of the lyrics.....
but on closer inspection of all those lyrics put together.....
Uh, maybe not such a good idea!
At least Andy (Desert Pavement) sang it at the Open Mic Zoom Session.
Thanks, Andy!!

What a week that was
I think I'm gonna go listen to the hit me one more time playlist right now, it's so great! If anyone else fancies it, here is the link, Mrs silly dave is a star!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeOoTkKV5j7LULGkTMLi10V7wpzdcldQy

I wanted to make "LET IT BLEED" by The Rolling Stones be the official theme song for the recently departed Season 466.
It is a fairly easy three or four chord song in the key of C!
I was stoked!
I did remember some of the creamier parts of the lyrics.....
but on closer inspection of all those lyrics put together.....
Uh, maybe not such a good idea!
At least Andy (Desert Pavement) sang it at the Open Mic Zoom Session.
Thanks, Andy!!
Just checked the lyrics
Outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Chris667 beat me to this one for Season #467, so I'll post it here. He had a nice little turn around at the end that I'll have to learn soon.

It wasn't my song! There's definitely plenty of room for more versions of it.

I'd like to see a contest like the Ukulele Cosmos invitationals where everyone does a cover of the same song. Lots of room for creativity, and seeing how different people approach things.

Lovely playing Jim. :D

this, a song i wrote and recorded live to my little camera for Edwin's season last week.
i re-recorded it yesterday and this version has the full studio treatment (well, if me sitting
at the dining table counts.) i've been speaking to the head honcho at my record label
and it seems a new album is forthcoming. i daresay this will be on it.

Top Bottom