The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, this goes back a full two seasons, but as you can see in the date it was made, I finished it within the time period of the MayDay season...
But, when I tried to post it, I got one of those cursed "THIS USER IS BLACKLISTED" errors that seem to hit me every month or so...
BUt a lot of effort went into it, and it was actually a suggestion from the Dean of Ukulele Underground, Aldrine Guerrero.

Since Edwin already did a fine version of this song in Season 484, I am posting my version here. I sang it at our Saturday Get Together. Since there were only 8 of us there this week, I figured I'd put it on here.

Happy Birthday Bob! You're three years older than I am.

I just noticed that there's a painting that my brother did of me in about 1968 hanging on the wall behind me. Here's the painting. Those guitar geeks will recognise that I'm playing a Gibson ES-175 from the early sixties.
bob's painting.jpg
And here's the rough sketch that he did for it. That's me at 24.
Bob's sketch of ES-175.jpg
You can see more of Bob's work at https://robertclarkyates.weebly.com/

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I don't like to re-cover tunes I've already done. My reluctance is is proportional to the quality of the previous performance and video, and so I shouldn't have been covering this Billy Joel tune due to my take I on what was a topic of conversation in 2009. I justified it by noting the very different instruments and that it's been 12 years.

I got a few inspirations to do some parody covers from this week's season SOTU #487 - In the Arms of Morpheus.

Wee.jpg From Wee Ginga Din's Mr. Sandman:

Val.jpg From Val's Would You Like To Swing On A Star?:

Last edited:
To Liz and the other Seasonistas who attended today's On-Line Get-Together:

I gave a try at remembering the Abelard & Heloise song. I know it was on a Howie Burson & Sally Rodgers LP, but I must've loaned it to someone because I can't find it and my LPs are in alphabetical order. There could well be another verse and the tune might be a bit different. I can't find it on YouTube either.

This one kept me busy while the forum was down last week. Sadly no throwing away or car parts (heh, except it has a bee in your bonnet, but not that kind of bonnet) so I'll stick it here instead.

I love this song. I'm going to keep trying it until I can do it in less than about 50 takes.

Renaissance - David Bradstreet

I've always loved this song by David Bradstreet and I got the LP before I met Maggie, but the song came back to my mind on our 37th anniversary. He's captured in song a lot of the way I feel about Maggie.
David Bradstreet LP.jpg Jim & Maggie top hat.jpg

Last edited:
Christopher Fonda posted a great version of the Robert Johnson song Terraplane Blues a couple of weeks back and he sent me scrounging for an E mouth harp so I could play along with him. This is not a polished production, either sonically or visually, but I've had a lot of fun with it.
I hope you don't mind Christopher - Very low tech

My Dad has dementia and he loves to sing. So when I go to see my parents I sometimes take my uke and we have a good old sing song. We did this one this morning - lots of fun! :)

I had this planned for last week's theme. I got the melody recorded but then life got in the way again so I've only just managed to get the accompaniment recorded so I'm bringing it here instead.

Two of my originals with whistles and baritone uke plus shruti box drone to add some bass. The video is some of my digital artworks.

I started learning this song on November 22, 2020. I only had one acoustic tenor at the time and while I learned the rhythm and the melody, I was at a loss at how to put it all together. Fast forward 9 months and I wanted to apply what I learned and see what I could come up with. This is the result:

Who knows what progress the next 9 months will bring?

Mairi's Wedding (Lewis Bridal Song)

I just lost an old friend of 50 years. In 1971, my friend Bill brought his new girlfriend down to Port Hope to meet his old high school buddies Al and Jim. Stella saw my old bowl back Martin mandolin hanging on the kitchen wall and asked to try it. She played Mairi's Wedding. I was impressed, so I said, "Let's have a jam."
Stella said, "Sorry, that's the only tune I know." It turns out that Stella's brothers were fine musicians and her brother John had taught her that song on his mandolin.
Later on, after Bill and Stella were married and had a house in Dundas, Stella introduced me to the music of Bonnie Raitt, Ry Cooder, The Incredible String Band and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Circle album.
The last time I saw Stella, about a month ago, she looked healthier than I am and was baking up a homemade pizza.
This tune, which also goes by the name Lewis Bridal Song, was played on the pipes by Maggie's brother Bill at Maggie and my wedding to march us out of the church.

Here is the Stella I met 50 years ago with her sweetie Bill (Back in the Hippy days)
Stella & Bill circa 1974.jpg

Stella and me at my surprise 70th birthday party at the Red Dog Tavern in Peterborough, Ontario.
March 30 4.jpg

This would have fit in this week's theme of selling, but it's not new. It's 13+ years old, and one of my favorite things I was lucky enough to play. I just spent about an hour adding closed captions to the very old recording, so it's time to share it again.

Top Bottom