The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

decaturcomp

Reaction score
Should there be a place for posts that fall outside of the rules for a particular season? Multitrack haven? Limitless posts?

Well, the above was the question I asked when I started this place and posted the first song, which I wrote for the occasion of not wanting to be limited to the caprices of a particular season but not wanting to be dickish to our lovely hosts. Now, I guess the Island has become part of the Seasonistas' way of doing business. Thanks for being part of it.

Now, our brother RedPaul101 has started a playlist of the Island of Misfit Seasonistas which is already up to a volume 2. He reasons, rightly, that we should have an unlisted playlist (you need the link, no one will stumble upon our little thing) to listen to without repeats and so on. So, here thanks to Paul is

The Misfit Playlist Vol. 1 roughly through the end of November 2013
and
Misfit Playlist Vol. 2 the road goes ever on...
Thanks everyone who has posted or watched here and especial thanks to Paul for being our historian.
Party on.

Misfit Playlist Vol. 3 Thanks AGAIN to new volunteer BigDaddyUker/BigRockPapa for picking up the ball and running with the Playlist idea begun by RedPaul! You guys are both awesome. This dates to early October 2014

Misfit Playlist Vol. 4 Beginning with Jan 2015, thanks Big Daddy Uker!

I have an idea that, at sometime inthe future folks will come to these playlists and let them roll through to see what was REALLY on our minds while we were thinking about the assignments we got from our awesome hosts each week.

Last edited:
Sometimes I'm a bad Seasonista. I get wrapped up in a season and post more than the maximum number of posts. It's not that I don't respect the hosts; I do. It's just that I am too enthusiastic about a season and I suppose I tend to "stand in the doorway and block up the halls". I'm sometimes sad when I see that folks can't do multittacking for a particular season, not that I'm anyone who does that anyway but I really love some of the things that other folks do.

ANYway...should there be a place like this for a shadow season where folks can post things that aren't bound by the rubrics of the current season but are still part of that information that wants to be free?

If not, I respect that, too. I don't really want to provide a solution without a problem.

xoxo,
alan

A note from Ukuleledaddy:
"First of all, I love your enthusiasm for the Seasons. Secondly, I thought the idea during Ska week to cover the entire The Harder They Come album was a ton of fun. Maybe there could be a Seasons supplement forum where each week/every other week/every month/whatever somebody can choose an album and anyone who wanted to contribute their take of a song from that album could drop it there. The album could be related to the week's theme or just some random great album. The thread for each album could be open for the length of the week or be always open so people could submit their cover whenever the mood strikes. So, there's one idea."

I think its a pretty good idea. Not many seasonistas will need to use it though but I am one who gets a little too enthusiastic sometimes too. I reckon there would be 4 or 5 seasonistas who would sometimes post should it be done.
I actually liked the ONE official entry and then the rest were bonus vids.
I know it can sometimes be hard for the host to keep on top of all the entries so an extra thread where they don't have to come is a good plan imho.
Your idea your job to start the thread though.:)

It's a good idea, Alan, to have a place for general conversation that relates to the Seasons without being about a particular Season.

Most Seasons accept endless bonuses, but some hosts limit the number to make it easier to manage the week's comments. Seems like those Seasonistas who want to post more than the limit would be glad to find a place to do so. It could be a place to announce a separate thread for Sean's idea of highlighting a particular album (e.g., "Hey, Seasonistas, join me over at __ thread to make covers of every song on Dark Side of the Moon.")

Don't make a new thread each week: Let it be like the "seasonal anticipation" thread, where it's activated when someone has a thought.
I think the thread should be very general and not be a "shadow season" that distracts from the active Season or takes away from that host's fun. Maybe let it be an appendix to a Season that follows it after it's closed.

Last edited:
I think his plan is to have one for each season??
Or just this one for the overflow posts??

I suggest one for each season so the theme doesn't get lost. Call it The Other Season 80 (or whatever number).

To me, this is an argument for having Bonus Track playlists. Weekly hosts may have to point out that they do not promise to make time to watch/comment on every Bonus Track. But it provides a good place to exhibit tracks from the "overzealous", and videos someone made previously that fit the current theme.

As the nervous host of week 81 (asking myself already what I have let myself in for :rolleyes:) I second this idea. :eek:

I suggest one for each season so the theme doesn't get lost. Call it The Other Season 80 (or whatever number).
That makes most sense to me but we already have a "Don't
It would rarely be needed as most times (or it used to be the way) you are able to post as many bonus vids as you are inspired to do.
It is just my opinion but I don't like seeing videos from previous seasons reposted in a new season as a bonus but that is only because I have already seen them.
Having this extra thread when needed could mean the host can concentrate on the official entries without a lot of the extra banter that sometimes goes on.

To me, this is an argument for having Bonus Track playlists. Weekly hosts may have to point out that they do not promise to make time to watch/comment on every Bonus Track. But it provides a good place to exhibit tracks from the "overzealous", and videos someone made previously that fit the current theme.

Just pointing out that .......
The host does have to create that playlist and watch at least part of the bonus video to place it in the playlist because it can only be done in YouTube. In a busy season keeping track of all the entries and bonus vids does take time.
It is what hosting is about and I enjoyed doing it on the seasons I hosted so it is not a complaint from me just a clarification.

Thanks pals.

All good thoughts.

I tend to agree that an entire thread within this topic or elsewhere might be overkill. Maybe, when we read the rules and there is a rubric we want to respect but don't want to interrupt the flow of the host's season, we can start a new thread here. Season 100 Unbound or something. After all, it is sort of an homage to the host's brilliant theme but i don't want to make the job any harder than it has to be for anyone.

We haven't had seasons with the limitation on bonuses much until lately so this might not happen often. As I mentioned, though, it might be nice to have a place where multitrackers can let their creative impulses run wild. It seems to me that the initial thought on banning multitrack might have been that it's sort of a different playing field, not just music but also technology and mad skills that not everyone has. That makes sense, too. But when I think of the amazing multitrack stuff that comes out of the seasons where it's allowed, I wonder what the harm would be of having an additional venue for that creativity.

and (just because I'm a self-identifying jerk) when hosts say something like "The week is Car Songs but NO Beachboys!" Folks can come here and display their 'she's real fine, my 409' chops.

It's a good idea, Alan, to have a place for general conversation that relates to the Seasons without being about a particular Season.

Most Seasons accept endless bonuses, but some hosts limit the number to make it easier to manage the week's comments. Seems like those Seasonistas who want to post more than the limit would be glad to find a place to do so. It could be a place to announce a separate thread for Sean's idea of highlighting a particular album (e.g., "Hey, Seasonistas, join me over at __ thread to make covers of every song on Dark Side of the Moon.")

Don't make a new thread each week: Let it be like the "seasonal anticipation" thread, where it's activated when someone has a thought.
I think the thread should be very general and not be a "shadow season" that distracts from the active Season or takes away from that host's fun. Maybe let it be an appendix to a Season that follows it after it's closed.

I like this idea. I think there's a place for a thread like this too.

I think that whatever you have in mind should in no way be connected to the Seasons because it would only detract from the Seasons.
Why not just start a thread called "Alan's Playhouse" or "Alan's Backyard" for the handful of you who need to post infinite numbers of songs on any topic?
No offense intended amigo...just saying the Seasons are fine the way they are and the number of entries and rules should be set by the host each week and adhered to!

Duly noted.

I think that whatever you have in mind should in no way be connected to the Seasons because it would only detract from the Seasons.
Why not just start a thread called "Alan's Playhouse" or "Alan's Backyard" for the handful of you who need to post infinite numbers of songs on any topic?
No offense intended amigo...just saying the Seasons are fine the way they are and the number of entries and rules should be set by the host each week and adhered to!

A place for us to be excited to the point of obnoxious and not piss anyone off? This is the Big Rock Candy Mountain Alan- A great idea. Part of me had always hoped the train songs thread would serve this purpose... but yeah. This is solid gold brain work right here.

I agree with lakesideglenn that if you're going to do it, it's better to have a single thread like this one rather than making a new thread for each season. You don't want it to be a remora clinging to the underside of the Season. (Wild-ass visual metaphor completed) This thread can be a virtual front porch to sit back on and kick some songs around.

Post Your Videos on any Theme in any number

With or without multitracking but with love and respect for our hosts.
Or, if you have a problem with this...don't.
xoxox,
alan

I started this out of a sense of guilt for overtopping the restrictions. I was self-deprecating and explained all that. I seem to have forgotten that most folks only skim the Cliff Notes at best.

Also, I suppose I took to heart the disengagement from the Seasons that made a couple of folks Calvinistically uncomfortable. So I just moved from under the Seasons umbrella and stayed under "Contests". That's probably wrong, too but I think it is certainly an extension of the Seasons and not any sort of red headed step child (although I'd take that description).

Anyway, it did lead me to a pastiche-ish mission statement yet:

Just Do it Your Own Way
Based on "I Threw It All Away" By Bob Dylan

Once I had rulebooks
commin' out of my ass
thought i was happier that way

But now I'm certain
It was me that I was hurtin'
I couldn't live that way
I couldn't live that way

Rules are important
Well, at least as a rule