The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess my mind's still in Hawaii. I just discovered this song yesterday, from a band called "George “Tautu” Archer & His Pagans." 1930s, as best I can tell.

As some of you know, my band is heading for Waikiki Ukulele Festival in July. Forté, our leader, wants some more originals so we tried out this one of mine tonight. With my ragged old voice! The rest of the band had never heard it before, but jumped right into it. I love these guys!

A TWO-PART Tutorial for a great song (that I found difficult to play and sing.)

OMG I went to my YT channel the other day and realized I haven't uploaded a video in 8 months! My ukulele has been collecting dust now that my art studio is in full swing and I've been painting up a storm. But I do need to get back to playing music one of these days. I miss my friends on the Seasons! I'm leaving on Monday to wander around Europe for a month. But I noticed this week's theme and have a video that fits so I'll just leave this here.

OMG I went to my YT channel the other day and realized I haven't uploaded a video in 8 months! My ukulele has been collecting dust now that my art studio is in full swing and I've been painting up a storm. But I do need to get back to playing music one of these days. I miss my friends on the Seasons! I'm leaving on Monday to wander around Europe for a month. But I noticed this week's theme and have a video that fits so I'll just leave this here.

I missed this first time around and it's beautifully sung. Good to see you popping up again. Will you be contributing to the seasons again? I always looked forward to your contributions.

A traditional song of Irish origin.

It was first published in a broadside sometime in the 18th century and appeared at intervals through the 19th century, mostly in England. The original was much longer. I've reduced it in length but kept enough to tell the story. Some of the later versions are more like I sing here.
A version in the Irish Language was published in the mid 19th century (and translated into English) with just the first three verses altered sufficiently to hint that the narrator did not get his wicked way and the girl went home unsullied.
The tune is traditional Irish and was used to set poet Patrick Kavanagh's poem, [now known as] Raglan Road to music.

Yeah, it took me two days to find this out. I'm a busy man. RIP Doctor John, who died during Doctor week...

An analogy invaded my brain the other day. We can compare the structure of a song to that of an academic essay, more specifically, an IELTS essay. If you don't know what an IELTS essay is, I'm not surprised, but it's something that is part of my work as an English teacher.

With my love for video-making and a realization that I'm not bad at what I do, I've been slowly trying to make my way into the world of online IELTS gurus. THis song proabably won't help, but I need to put it here to set up my entry in this week's seasons...

It gets weirder. If you don't want to watch 11 minutes aimed toward language learners, skip ahead to 10:50... the uke appears.

"https://youtu.be/l2bw8iabbXM"

Fred sang this to Ginger as she washed her hair.
Everybody thought Fred was a great dancer but you
have to remember Ginger did all the same steps
but backwards and in high heels.

Top Bottom