The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, since we were only allowed three obscure singer/songwriters in season #468, I decided that Ted Staunton deserved to be heard, so I'll post him here. I met Ted Staunton in the early eighties and we soon started playing music together. We have played together as a duo and have ended up in several groups together over the years. Ted is a prolific songwriter and I haven't heard a bad one yet. This one is one that I like a lot called Ragtime Annie (no relation to the fiddle tune of the same name).
boysofbluehill.jpg
Boys Of Bluehill circa 1990s
Standing - Ian Anderson, Jim Yates, Aengus Finnan
Sitting - Murray Kendrick, Ted Staunton

Jim & Ted back room.jpg
PR photo for Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band - Jim & Ted

definitely can't get the current season theme out of my mind, even though i keep writing new homemade songs for it, that therefore don't count! here's today's weather-inspired offering...

Normally, I'd have no problem posting in a Weekly thread after missing the deadline on an entry... but rarely are hosts so good with their wrap-up videos as YorkSteve was today with Week 471. I didn't just get to the party late - I got to the party after the lights were all off and the host asleep in bed. So over here to the Island this comes...

The song I performed prior to this was a different Brad Paisley Song - selfie#theinternetisforever​ from his last release in 2017. This Brad Paisley song is from his first album in 1997 and talks about finding an old Kodak camera with an undeveloped roll of film in it.. and the memories that it must have captured. Two songs to bookend a career (up till now) could not more poignantly highlight the change in photography over that twenty year span. In 1997, there was no concept of selfies, instagram and posting pictures online was in its infancy. By contrast, today I'm sure many young people wouldn't know what a roll of film looks like or how we used to "take it to the store"...

Good job, Mr Paisley, for bringing us a then-and-now that provides such a picture of pictures.

I also discovered that I seem to have developed a bald spot at the crown of my skull. Seriously, this is the first I've noticed it.

Mystery Changes

These raggy changes can be applied to a number of songs.
How many songs do you know that fit these changes?
I an think of six songs right off the bat. I'll let you know what mine are after I see yours. I hope I get some new ones.
C / B Bb | A / A7 / | D7 / G7 / | C / G7 / |
C / B Bb | A / A7 / | D7 / / / | G7 / / / |
C / / / | C7 / / / | F / / / | Cdim / / / |
C / B Bb | A / A7 / | D7 / G7 / | C / A7 / |
D7 / G7 / | C G7 C / |

I just recalled another song that uses a different bridge (3rd line) but otherwise the same changes.

C / D7 / | G7 / / / | C / D7 / | G7 / / / |

Last edited:
Well, it looks like nobody is gonna give me any new songs for these changes, so here are the ones I know.

I first started playing these changes on a 12-string guitar a couple of decades ago.
-The first song I earned with these changes was Pink Anderson's Bring It On Home which I learned from a Paul Geremia record.
-I somehow realised that John Hartford's song Boogie worked perfectly to these changes.
-I played them as a medley at a folk club and someone in the audience told me that these changes worked to Robert Johnson's They're Red Hot.
-I was playing them in the back room when Maggie came in and started singing Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant.
-Once I was listening to an LP of Western Swing bands and Bill Boyd & His Cowboy Ramblers sang a song called You Can't Tame Wild Women.
-A song I have recorded by both the Greenbriar Boys and Stuff Smith is How Come You Do Me Like You Do.
-My mom used to sing an old pop song called Jada that uses most of these changes with a different bridge.

Last edited:
Hawaii Week!! If I find time to record I may join in the fun. Hawaii holds a special place in my heart. This video was filmed on the Big Island a few years ago.

I just had a couple of days off work, so of course I wanted to use them to make a very loud noise, or at least a slightly loud noise. Either way, I don't think that's going to fit a Hawaiian theme...

Featuring a baritone uke, a tenor, a harmonica (sadly I don't have a big man with a saxophone handy) and some keyboard. It does have the word "beach" in the lyrics, but that's about as close as it gets, so I'll leave it on the island instead! I'll try to get back to Hawaii later this week...

an eleven-minute talk doesn't go on the main thread, but this is the Island afterall.

Last edited:
I’m posting this here because it may fit the 475 Hawaiian theme but there is nary a uke in sight. Still I’m kind of proud of the arrangement so I will probably post it again on the thread as an unofficial submission in the hopes it get a few views regardless of the 6 string anathema.

“Neck and Neck” is one of my all time favorite albums which my dad turned me on to. I sure miss him. We both loved Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and every track on this album is a gem. Do yourself a favor and load it up on Spotify then thank me later.

I’ve been working on this arrangement for a while now. The original Tahitian Sunrise reminds me of a sailing trip I was fortunate enough to take on a gaff rigged schooner. There is something special about laying at anchor in a secluded cove sipping your hot Java and watching the rising sun turn windless calm water to a molten gold. This song always takes me back to that moment and that time in my life. Memories burn brighter than the sun sometimes.

Steve York covered Time Of The Season, by The Zombies, for Berni’s current season, 476, which reminded me that some friends of mine and I covered it recently. Check out Steve’s excellent version on the season 476 thread.

Time Of The Season
Rod Argent

Along with ukulele videos, I also enjoy making videos of other kinds, but most of all, travel videos. Other things always getting in the way, it's taken 15 months for me to turn this leg of my Jan/Feb 2020 visit to Australia into Part 8 of the Tasmaniamania series. I'm keen on sharing it broadly because I think the scenery of southwest Tasmania is the most striking and surprising I've seen on the footage I've looked at so far. It's also got ukulele noodling.

Per request from the open mic last night, here's a couple of other renditions of the Guy Clark tune. First, from 2010 while I was living in Seattle.

Top Bottom