The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As long as I can continue to do car songs, I'm all for it

is this like a PoHo thread for the seasons, or is it just seasons-related things?

If the former, holy crap, field research is hard yo. Plus side, we got invited over to a Nahuatl-speaking household the other day and I fed the cow in the front yard. Also, a researcher we were talking to today told us we need to hide our lesbianism in more conservative areas. We were not aware that we were lesbians. Also, we may or may not have office space in a haunted palace that used to be the headquarters for the inquisition in mexico.

If the latter, ignore all this. Go seasons, yay!

Lets go with the poho thing.

Imagine de noive of dat guy outing you to yourselves!

Field woik! Could be for the boids of a feather?

is this like a PoHo thread for the seasons, or is it just seasons-related things?

If the former, holy crap, field research is hard yo. Plus side, we got invited over to a Nahuatl-speaking household the other day and I fed the cow in the front yard. Also, a researcher we were talking to today told us we need to hide our lesbianism in more conservative areas. We were not aware that we were lesbians. Also, we may or may not have office space in a haunted palace that used to be the headquarters for the inquisition in mexico.

If the latter, ignore all this. Go seasons, yay!

Thanks Steve. Click my signature below to go to a link to post any video any time. If the season is limited, no multitracking, only 1 or 2 entries, and you want to post something else and not break the rules, you can put it there. If you just want to post a random video, that's fine, too. If it turns out not to be useful to anyone, that's okay...it'll fade away.

"Smile" is a song, originally used as an instrumental theme in the soundtrack for the 1936
Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Chaplin composed the music. While some believe the
words were written by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.

Many people have sung this song but I have always wondered what it would have sounded
like it Noël Coward had sung it.

It has a delightful melody but I am not so sure of the advice contained in the song.
Hiding every trace of sadness to my mind would be a decidedly unhealthy thing to do.
Emotions need to be expressed not repressed.

Do things really get better if you smile? The unemployed get a job, the dying make a recovery,
the bankrupt become financially secure... just because they smile. Don't think so.

Perhaps it is just hinting that we should have a positive outlook on life, but at the same time
I can't help wondering if we followed the advice of the song we would be masking our true emotions.
Remember in "Strictly Ballroom" Scott's mother even though in torment always had to have on her "happy face"

Anyways I can imagine Noel in the cocktail lounge tinkling the ivories of his piano and crooning
away to the troops going off to fight against Hitler.

Smile boys.. war REALLY isn't SO bad.

I tried to do this song straight with my normal voice by just could not do it because of the discongruity
between the words of the song and the human experience, but I could sing it as Noël Coward because
he personifies the British stiff upper lip mentality... and i get to give a wry little smile at the end

THis is a FAIL for the heartbroken season because of the multi tracking, the false voice,
the straw hat, the waistcoat and some seriously tampered with ukulele which has a
perverse reverse loop running through it in the background and some overlaid twiddly bits,
and besides it is OLD... but I like it cos it is inventive, and because of the delicious
absurdity of some of the comments.

Very interesting and it half confirms a theory I have had for a long time
namely the weather is controlled by the facial expressions of the masses.

Last edited:
Gotta say- I am not really worried about what the host does in a season, but playing over at season 82 feels like someone asked you to play a song and then left the room. I suppose I am used to at least the host being my captive audience, and then having to say something my mom would say- gratifying if not all together far from genuine.
Myrna called for Hank- I figured the house over here will at least watch me suck, and I could not resist.
Officially planting my pigs head on a stick in your white sandy beach Alan. I have come to make bad music. Lots of it.

Gotta say- I am not really worried about what the host does in a season, but playing over at season 82 feels like someone asked you to play a song and then left the room. I suppose I am used to at least the host being my captive audience, and then having to say something my mom would say- gratifying if not all together far from genuine.
Myrna called for Hank- I figured the house over here will at least watch me suck, and I could not resist.
Officially planting my pigs head on a stick in your white sandy beach Alan. I have come to make bad music. Lots of it.

Super nice Dave. I'm not familiar with this song but I dig it. The sort of tune I would imagine to be played late in the evening by a dying campfire.

As Ukedaddy sez, I've got that virtual campfire song swapping feeling around here. Cheers mate!

I like this island. I don't have any videos to post (yet?), but it'sa good place to hang out and read and listen a little!

I recorded this during a marathon session where I was trying to get a song down for Season 83. I didn't get the Season 83 track down, but here's my version of 'Steel Rail Blues' by Gordon Lightfoot.

I "pastiched" this song into something we can sing here on Alan's Island of Seasonista Misfits.

Last edited:
An extra for the emotional rescue season of the ukeulele this week. We were allowed 3 and I have 2 in and one I want to try as a duet with Terri, so here's my throwaway.

I did four songs for Season 83 and still had this Richard Thompson cover left over. I started playing it in Season 82, and just couldn't let it go.

Top Bottom