The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh, gosh. I never knew you folks had been posting here already. Thank you! What a lot of fun. I'm off to listen!!

Oh, gosh. I never knew you folks had been posting here already. Thank you! What a lot of fun. I'm off to listen!!

Are we supposed to post on this thread? Oh. I posted this on the "Post Your Videos on any Theme in any number" thread last week.

Can I ask a question? I like the idea of"Islands of misfits" but it has me ever so slightly confused. Can anyone explain how this thread differs from the links and videos thread. I hope you don't mind me asking that question as I'd like to make sure I fully understand the idea behind it folks. I think I'd like to post here but wanted to be sure I was doing it in the right thread. Thanks - Dave.

Can I ask a question? I like the idea of"Islands of misfits" but it has me ever so slightly confused. Can anyone explain how this thread differs from the links and videos thread. I hope you don't mind me asking that question as I'd like to make sure I fully understand the idea behind it folks. I think I'd like to post here but wanted to be sure I was doing it in the right thread. Thanks - Dave.

As I understand it, this thread is for those videos you would have posted if the current week's host hadn't ignored your advice and written the rules you asked him/her to write. :)

The links and videos is for any video & a few seasonistas post their current entries there as well.

Last edited:
This may or may not be my best foot, it's hard to tell, but they're having a Beatles vs. Stones month over at Ukulele.fr so I had to come down on the Stones side, Here's Dear Doctor from Beggar's Banquet just for laffs

I think this would be a great entry.

I tried it once and it came out sounding like bad Monty Python....

Good lead lines, too.

This may or may not be my best foot, it's hard to tell, but they're having a Beatles vs. Stones month over at Ukulele.fr so I had to come down on the Stones side, Here's Dear Doctor from Beggar's Banquet just for laffs

Hi Guys,

Here's my story on this. I started this one for a place to add bonuses that weren't allowed in the actual contest in order to stay out of the way of the host of any particular season just because these themes won't leave me alone sometimes.

Someone, I forget who, indicated that this would besmirch the virginal purity of the seasons and that I should take my impertinance elsewhere. So I did and started the 'do what you want, post what you want' thing under contests. I didn't see any way to remove this forum so I thought it would just die a dead death and sink to oblivion at the bottom of the list of other misfit forums.

Imagine my surprise when Ginny told me that folks had continued to post here, so I think this is the happy place to stay if you all agree and the other one can either be deleted (okay eugeneukulele? I don't know if I have the authority to do so but maybe you can?) and we can stay here and grow and prosper and have some fun or not as the spirit moves us,

Sound good?

As I understand it, this thread is for those videos you would have posted if the current week's host hadn't ignored your advice and written the rules you asked him/her to write. :)

The links and videos is for any video & a few seasonistas post their current entries there as well.

Ginny!!
Thank you, thank you!
This is lovely. I grinned, I cried....
Just exactly perfect.
and, thank you again!

I "pastiched" this song into something we can sing here on Alan's Island of Seasonista Misfits.

Beautiful, Rob. You may not believe it but the Sun shone out from behind yon clouds as I played this on a rainy night in Georgia. Also, my hibiscus bloomed at night for the first time ever!! Gasp!!!

"Smile" is a song, originally used as an instrumental theme in the soundtrack for the 1936
Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Chaplin composed the music. While some believe the
words were written by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.

Many people have sung this song but I have always wondered what it would have sounded
like it Noël Coward had sung it.

It has a delightful melody but I am not so sure of the advice contained in the song.
Hiding every trace of sadness to my mind would be a decidedly unhealthy thing to do.
Emotions need to be expressed not repressed.

Do things really get better if you smile? The unemployed get a job, the dying make a recovery,
the bankrupt become financially secure... just because they smile. Don't think so.

Perhaps it is just hinting that we should have a positive outlook on life, but at the same time
I can't help wondering if we followed the advice of the song we would be masking our true emotions.
Remember in "Strictly Ballroom" Scott's mother even though in torment always had to have on her "happy face"

Anyways I can imagine Noel in the cocktail lounge tinkling the ivories of his piano and crooning
away to the troops going off to fight against Hitler.

Smile boys.. war REALLY isn't SO bad.

I tried to do this song straight with my normal voice by just could not do it because of the discongruity
between the words of the song and the human experience, but I could sing it as Noël Coward because
he personifies the British stiff upper lip mentality... and i get to give a wry little smile at the end

THis is a FAIL for the heartbroken season because of the multi tracking, the false voice,
the straw hat, the waistcoat and some seriously tampered with ukulele which has a
perverse reverse loop running through it in the background and some overlaid twiddly bits,
and besides it is OLD... but I like it cos it is inventive, and because of the delicious
absurdity of some of the comments.

Very interesting and it half confirms a theory I have had for a long time
namely the weather is controlled by the facial expressions of the masses.

Hi Folks,

Why don't we ditch this forum for Island of Misfit Seasonistas. I only started it because of one comment indicating that I shouldn't associate any such twaddle with the Seasons but, after some thought, this one just adds to confusion and, I don't really mind being criticized so. I'll see you here.

Thanks for your help and comradeships!

Thanks Geoff (and Alan)

Hi Guys,

Here's my story on this. I started this one for a place to add bonuses that weren't allowed in the actual contest in order to stay out of the way of the host of any particular season just because these themes won't leave me alone sometimes.

Someone, I forget who, indicated that this would besmirch the virginal purity of the seasons and that I should take my impertinance elsewhere. So I did and started the 'do what you want, post what you want' thing under contests. I didn't see any way to remove this forum so I thought it would just die a dead death and sink to oblivion at the bottom of the list of other misfit forums.

Imagine my surprise when Ginny told me that folks had continued to post here, so I think this is the happy place to stay if you all agree and the other one can either be deleted (okay eugeneukulele? I don't know if I have the authority to do so but maybe you can?) and we can stay here and grow and prosper and have some fun or not as the spirit moves us,

Sound good?

Alan,

Why not PM Jon & see if he'll combine two threads?

If seen it done on other forums I belong to when two closely threads are running.

Here's one that fits the bill for this thread then. I was going to enter it in Season 84 and then re-read the rules and realised its one entry each. So with best foot in mind I decided to look at my youtube viewings. This one is number two in my viewed entries by quite some way but on closer inspection of the data I realised its actually the ONLY song where the minutes watched exceeds the number of views so in effect this would make it the most popular one wouldn't it? Anyway, here is a remake with a percussionist whose fee was most agreeable ;-) I've tried it in a different key that is slightly better suited and less straining to my voice.

Ginny told me that folks had continued to post here, so I think this is the happy place to stay if you all agree and the other one can either be deleted (okay eugeneukulele? I don't know if I have the authority to do so but maybe you can?) and we can stay here and grow and prosper and have some fun or not as the spirit moves us,

Sound good?

a) sounds good; and
b) i think you can lock the other thread yourself so nobody can post to it and it dies that death you spoke of.

This is a great one. I'd have had a hard time choosing, too.
Good deal on the percussionist. He could have charged a lot more, I'm sure!

Here's one that fits the bill for this thread then. I was going to enter it in Season 84 and then re-read the rules and realised its one entry each. So with best foot in mind I decided to look at my youtube viewings. This one is number two in my viewed entries by quite some way but on closer inspection of the data I realised its actually the ONLY song where the minutes watched exceeds the number of views so in effect this would make it the most popular one wouldn't it? Anyway, here is a remake with a percussionist whose fee was most agreeable ;-) I've tried it in a different key that is slightly better suited and less straining to my voice.

Seems we have two threads to do this in now...I like the title of this one better so here we go.
Billy Joe Shaver, again.
The hell with Bill and his one video limit ;)

Yeah, we're keepin' this one. I asked eugene to ditch the other un when he has a minute since i has no contol over, well, just about anydamnthing.

Now you know you love Bill like we all doo. I love all hosts because hosting is a thankless job. I respek that they don't have all the time in the world to listen to my diarreahic output, so a clubhouse, yes? Mostly for me and you and like minded souls to keep from affronting other more delicate folks' sensibilities to the rule of law. Love and kisses to all especially hosts!!

smooch,

alan

ps speakin of rules breakers....here be jerry lee's version of the lyrics to sing out brothers and sisters!

Bottom dollar, it looks like the end
Oh, how I hate to see you go
Oh, bottom dollar we've been the best of friends
I guess I counted on you a hundred times or more

Oh my, how those eagles fly
Goodbye, bottom dollar, goodbye

Give it to me, boys
Oh bottom dollar
Well, all your friends are gone
They've been blown
On the dancehall girls and wine

Oh, bottom dollar
Well, now if the truth was known
You've been the best friend the killer's ever known
(Think about that, darlin')

Oh, my how those eagles fly
Goodbye, bottom dollar, goodbye

(Let's get it, get it, get it)

Seems we have two threads to do this in now...I like the title of this one better so here we go.
Billy Joe Shaver, again.
The hell with Bill and his one video limit ;)

family funtime along with skidoo who's kiddos are around somewhere but not in this tune
part of an all night sing and supper on the ground when our kids and grandpunks were here

This is what music is all about...thanks to both of you for sharing. Brilliant Carter Family style ending.

Top Bottom