::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 17!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too was in 6th grade. The principal came in, told the teacher, and we got out the classroom radio (!) to listen to Walter Cronkite. They sent us home at lunch, I think. Neighborhood school. No buses. Safe streets. It was a different era.

I was in my crib. Most likely soiling myself or playing with my toes. I was 3 mos. old :)

Hey Tim, I don't know if you're out there, but I'm guessing roos are your equivalent of deer here. I've hit three deer with my vehicles since I've been driving, doing significant damage each time.

Have you ever hit a kangaroo when driving?

That's one part of what's frustrating me. Another is that people must think that all of this must have sprung up magically. Must be something up with the haterade they're all drinking. I'm sure Kimo is a nice man, but where are the people defending the board owners and mods... You know, the folk that provide this sandbox for us to play in...

People scream "disrespect" constantly when they can't even see how disrespectful they are... Because they're well meaning is not an excuse, and insisting on "aloha spirit" is just wrong.

Disrespect...

This is a term thrown around by people that are basically just trying to cloud an issue they either don't fully understand, or are trying to take blame off themselves. Either way, I see that term used quite frequently here, especially when I have to admonish the inmates of something.

Example: on weeknights, time to be in their rooms is 11:30pm. They all know this. Come 12:01am count, sometimes I have to tell several to go to their rooms. Most of the time, they comply quickly. Every once in a while, one will just stand around and keep looking at the TV, or just wander around, not in any hurry to get anywhere. So, I dial it up a notch, and tell him that I don't like repeating myself, to get moving, now. Some of these guys, especially the younger ones, will say, "Man, you can't disrespect me like that! I'm a man, and you're gonna treat me like one!" Loud enough, of course so that everyone can hear. I tell whoever it is, to come to my office after count is over.

He comes to my office. He usually repeats his disrespect line before I even start speaking. My answer to that is, "If you act like a man, I have no problem treating you like one. You know what time you are supposed to be in your room, and a half-hour later you are still out. When we come in to count, I ask you guys to head to your room, but you either ignore me, or slow walk me. Who's disrespecting who?"

Not totally sure this completely applies to what went on with that thread, but I saw where folks had NO idea why it was moved in the first place, and they threw out the 'disrespect' garbage. That's just a pet peeve for me in my profession.

Last edited:
Why don't you suggest Atlanta? You may know some people around there.

You know...I did. I don't think the boss wants to fly that far. We have offices in Atlanta and I have team members there. Some day, maybe...

My mom was in junior high. She was talking about her memories yesterday.

I get that it was a body blow to the country and a loss of innocence. I just don't get why people still feel the same way about him today, knowing what they do now about his philandering and poor presidential skills (Bay of Pigs, anyone?).
The first national story that knocked me back was the Challenger explosion.

A couple of things as to why people still feel the way they do about him today...

His presidency was well before the explosion of the 'information age', so as far as philandering, there are no selfies that were sent to his cell phone or email of Marilyn, or of anybody else for that matter, since neither existed. In fact, there isn't any truly solid proof. Only word of mouth. Not even pictures taken with the cameras of the age. So, to the people that lived at that time, there is reasonable doubt. And the people from that time period continue to believe in their heroes. It's only people today that tend to believe most of what they see and hear on TV about President Kennedy, or read on the internet that see it that way.

As far as his presidential skills, sure, Bay of Pigs was a mistake. But, how about the time he looked Khrushchev right in the eye, and stared him down when we were at the brink of war, getting him to remove the nuclear missles that had been placed in Cuba? This took someone who was truly presidential timber in my book.

Other little things that made people identify with him/them. The raising of their young children in the White House. The time he and Jackie lost their 2 day old baby was another. Just many things that the American public fell in love with during that period, and truthfully, they've craved ever since.

Last edited:
Disrespect...

This is a term thrown around by people that are basically just trying to cloud an issue they either don't fully understand, or are trying to take blame off themselves. Either way, I see that term used quite frequently here, especially when I have to admonish the inmates of something.

Example: on weeknights, time to be in their rooms is 11:30pm. They all know this. Come 12:01am count, sometimes I have to tell several to go to their rooms. Most of the time, they comply quickly. Every once in a while, one will just stand around and keep looking at the TV, or just wander around, not in any hurry to get anywhere. So, I dial it up a notch, and tell him that I don't like repeating myself, to get moving, now. Some of these guys, especially the younger ones, will say, "Man, you can't disrespect me like that! I'm a man, and you're gonna treat me like one!" Loud enough, of course so that everyone can hear. I tell whoever it is, to come to my office after count is over.

He comes to my office. He usually repeats his disrespect line before I even start speaking. My answer to that is, "If you act like a man, I have no problem treating you like one. You know what time you are supposed to be in your room, and a half-hour later you are still out. When we come in to count, I ask you guys to head to your room, but you either ignore me, or slow walk me. Who's disrespecting who?"

Not totally sure this completely applies to what went on with that thread, but I saw where folks had NO idea why it was moved in the first place, and they threw out the 'disrespect' garbage. That's just a pet peeve for me in my profession.

I love this post. Very well said!

Ah yes, the Challenger (and, later, Columbia) incident was a real shock too, but those people were taking a huge risk. They may have grown complacent from the many successful flights, but that was the most complex machine ever devised by mankind, and going into space and returning safely is still a really dangerous deal. If someone offered me a seat tomorrow though, you bet I would be in it!

Yep, to all the above. I'd go too!

I always wanted to go too. Even took aviation in high school to get prepared for it. Then I realized a military career was the best, but still difficult, path in and I gave up on it.

I read "Packing for Mars" last summer which goes into detail about all aspects of space missions -- the food, motion sickness, etc. Still wished I had a chance to go until I got to the chapter on toilets. Oh man. You just have to read it. I realized then that I wasn't meant for astronaut life. :)

Last edited:
You know those nice padded chairs that slightly recline in hospital rooms? They suck for sleeping.

Dad is very calm tonight, not restless at all. I could have gone home. But I know it's nice for him to see a familiar face everytime they wake him up for vitals etc. I just helped the aid change his diaper. He asked if we were in Santa Barbara. I told him no, he said he musta been dreaming.

You know those nice padded chairs that slightly recline in hospital rooms? They suck for sleeping.

Dad is very calm tonight, not restless at all. I could have gone home. But I know it's nice for him to see a familiar face everytime they wake him up for vitals etc. I just helped the aid change his diaper. He asked if we were in Santa Barbara. I told him no, he said he musta been dreaming.

Glad you are able to be there with your dad, Sally. My thoughts are with you, your dad and family.

People that work at apple are stupid. First don't pack a display that weighs 80+lbs in a recycled box. Second don't stack boxes on top of each other, they crush each other. Thirdly, if you do recycle a box use one that fits the product size correctly. For example dont use a 4x3x3 box for a 3x3x1 product. And if you do at least put packing material In Empty space. Thank you stupid people of apple for your 8 large heavy awkward boxes you gave me today.

I'm saving this one in my archives of evidence against...

Phil Lesh, Bass player for the Grateful Dead, plays a six-string bass and I have seen him do Barre chords on it. He rocks.
But my favorite bass player these days is probably Nathan Aweau. I've seen him do this live, pretty cool stuff.
http://youtu.be/bNTIG0CqDBk

Very interesting. And it appears to be a seven string bass.

A couple of things as to why people still feel the way they do about him today...

His presidency was well before the explosion of the 'information age', so as far as philandering, there are no selfies that were sent to his cell phone or email of Marilyn, or of anybody else for that matter, since neither existed. In fact, there isn't any truly solid proof. Only word of mouth. Not even pictures taken with the cameras of the age. So, to the people that lived at that time, there is reasonable doubt. And the people from that time period continue to believe in their heroes. It's only people today that tend to believe most of what they see and hear on TV about President Kennedy, or read on the internet that see it that way.

As far as his presidential skills, sure, Bay of Pigs was a mistake. But, how about the time he looked Khrushchev right in the eye, and stared him down when we were at the brink of war, getting him to remove the nuclear missles that had been placed in Cuba? This took someone who was truly presidential timber in my book.

Other little things that made people identify with him/them. The raising of their young children in the White House. The time he and Jackie lost their 2 day old baby was another. Just many things that the American public fell in love with during that period, and truthfully, they've craved ever since.

This is a very good explanation. Maybe you had to be there. Life is very different then it was 50 years ago. Many things better... and many things, never to be the same.

0339koolaid.jpg

At 4:30 in the morning vending machine food is good. I'm eating some kinda sausage thingy wrapped in breading. Damn, it's like the food of the gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom