might be a lutherie library for sale

jcalkin

Reaction score
I've been contemplating breaking up my library, and I thought I might sell off my lutherie books right here. The moderators can spank me if I'm out of line.

I don't expect to get anything like retail, or even close. But I don't want any cherry picking, I want to get rid of the bunch. As a writer, I thought that I would continually reference them, but it hasn't happened. I spent a lot of time with them on my way up, but I haven't looked at most of them in years.

There's only two uke books out there that I know of, and neither of them are that great. I have them and will include them, but I also have books about acoustic guitars, mandolins, banjos, fantasy instruments, simple folk instruments, electric guitars, just about everything. What I'd like to do is bundle a few together and say,"OK, $50 for the bundle." And you could pass or play.

I've already eliminated the worthless ones, but there are a few I have an attachment to and will include (40 years ago lutherie books were pretty lame, but I still spent an eternity pouring over them). There are also instrument books that have nothing to do with building, but are pretty cool.

Does this interest anyone? If not I'll try eBay, but that feels pretty lame to me.

Is there a path to the bookshelf? I understand that some have sold, but I seem to be lost in the stacks. List? Thanks

Sorry if I confused anyone. There is no book list. You don't get to choose on single books. I'd go to eBay for that and maybe get the highest bucks per book. Every night about this time I'll post a new batch, or bundle if you will. Batches will be $50 per bundle, plus postage from Virginia to wherever you live. If the book you are dying to have is mixed with others you couldn't care less about, I'm sorry. My goal is to offer you a fair deal while unloading my collection. Selling one title at a time would be a big PITA. If you want a batch, PM me and we'll swap details. First come, first served. I don't know how else to make this fair. I could post cover pictures if it would be helpful, but it will slow things down a lot.

FIRST BATCH------

Ukulele Design and Construction, by D. Henry Wickham
Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock
Guitar Finishing Step by Step, a StewMac book
Animal Magnetism for Musicians, by Erno Zwann---a very Germanic influenced book about building electric basses
Basic Pickup Winding & Guiude to Making Your Own Pickup Winder, by Jason Lollar
Extraordinary Ukuleles: The Tsumura Collection From Japan---basically a pamphlet guide to the 1995 Hawaiian display. Only 22 tiny pages, but a pretty cool booklet

Shipping weight, 6 lbs

No action yet, but I'll keep listing batches for awhile to see how it works out. Again, all for $50 + shipping. I only have one copy of every book, so there will be no overlap.

BATCH #2:

The Ukulele, by Dennis Gilbert. The other "how to make a tenor uke book".
Steel-String Guitar Construction, by Sloane
Customizing Your Electric Guitar, by Adrian Legg
The Making of Stringed Instruments, by George Buchanan. Some bowed, some plucked instruments, though the accent is on definitely on bowed instruments.
The Luthier's Art, a showcase of the instruments from the 1996 Healdsburg Festival. The pictures are smallish but the printing is very good. A magnifying glass will show up many worthwhile details.
The Luthier's Art, a showcase of the instruments from the 1997 Healdsburg festival. These two books may be collectible.

Shipping weight, 6 lbs

Maybe I was delusional thinking I could sell books this way. Moderator, please feel free to delete this thread. Besides, a friend stopped by and bought 8 books, some of which were in batches already listed. Sorry.

I'm still interested, but I was waiting for a number of bundles to be listed before pulling the trigger on one of them. If you decide to sell the books on ebay or elsewhere, please let me know.

Let me think about it. Perhaps I'll list a bunch of books and let first come take their pick. That's a lot more hassle on my end, but the end result will be the same.

lutherie book update

OK, let's try this. Pick your book, $10 each unless noted otherwise. $4 shipping per book in the lower 48 states. If you buy several shipping will go by actual weight. First to PM me gets the book. THIS IS THE END OF THE LIST (I'm pretty sure).

Guitarmaking, by Cumpiano/Natelson---early hardbound volume. The bible of the industry

American Guitars, by Wheeler---hard bound first edition. Back in the day this was the book to have. Lots of interviews and instrument pix

Electric Guitars and Basses, by Gruhn and Carter---hard bound. A $40 coffee table book with lots of good info (still $10 here)

The Luthier's Art---instruments from the 1996 & 1997 Healdsburg shows. $10 for both

Build Your Own Electric Guitar, by Bill Foley & Customising Your Electric Guitar, by Adrian Legg---both for $10

Making Musical Instruments, edited by Charles Ford---4 stringed instruments + harpsichord, classical guitar chapter by Jose Romanillos

Steel-String Guitar Construction, by Sloane

Making Early Stringed Instruments, by Taylor

Constructing a Solid-Body Guitar, by Siminoff

Tambura, by Brankov

The Technique of Violin Making, by Wake

The Making of Stringed Instruments, by Buchanan

Building Electric Guitars, by Koch

Guitars, Guitars, Guitars, by Crocker, Brinkman, and Briggs. Lots and lots of small photos

The Amateur Wind Instrument Maker, by Robinson

How to Service Your Own Tube Amp, by Mitchell. Comes with a VCR tape that's never been viewed.

Guitar Finishing Step-by-Step, Stew-Mac, first edition

Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Hiscock

Last edited:
Digging up an old thread, just to give another huge thanks to John.

John went out of his way to organise delivery on a couple of items all the way to Australia.

I've just received them in perfect condition and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Very appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Thank you much, Jeremy. I've moved on to eBay to sell my books, but I was happier selling them here and knowing they were going into fine hands.

Top Bottom