Interesting Observation

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
A friend of mine came over yesterday and I showed him one of my ukuleles he had not seen before. When he played it in finger-picking style, the G string had a significant buzz that I had never experienced before on that instrument. I play with a pick (Dunlop .38mm nylon) and can hit that G string hard as can be with no buzz at all.

Have you all experienced this with an instrument where it buzzes when finger-picked but is completely fine when using a pick?

I think it may have to do with the motion of the pick being more parallel with the plane of the strings with the amplitude of the strings being directed more or less parallel with the top. When using your fingers to play, the strings are "plucked" such that the string amplitude is directed more towards the top resulting in a buzz if there is not enough room for the string to vibrate fully above the frets.

Am I thinking too hard?

hmm. . . I'm stumped!

I think you're right. I have a string on a ukulele that can buzz depending on the angle at which I pluck it.

i've noticed i get a little buzz if one of my fingers is not corded on the string just right, maybe he is touching a parallel string 'just enough', since the instrument is new to him. ??

yeah,I'm not great at fingerpicking, but I notice my "pickin" is too "too plucky" sometimes.

I have a new (to me) guitar that seems very fussy about how I fret chords otherwise it wants to buzz. The neck or something wants me to fret further back so I have to watch myself and fret closer to the fret bar or it tends to buzz. Is this because it's a slot head or what? My Yamaha's and my AMI are more forgiving.

I didn't notice this when I auditioned it; only when I'm sitting on the couch, slouching around did I think: "This "G" chord sounds sloppy"

Top Bottom