Cleaning a very grungy ukelin

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I recently picked up a ukelin for a wall hanger. I expected it to be dirty, but this thing re-defines dirty. It appears to have a spotty film that is spotty, and kind of waxy. It get's very "sticky" when I use a degreaser or "windex" type product. It required many wipes and a non-scratch scrubber to begin to clean it. I would rather not remove the strings, but getting the gunk off will be extremely difficult. Have any of you ever had to clean such a dirty instrument that you hadn't intended on refinishing? WD-40 didn't impress it much. Many of you use lighter fluid/naptha to remove sticker adhesive. Anyone try it on old "goo"? (finish, wax, etc.) I wonder if any mold could be in this coating. Any suggestions besides buy a cleaner one next time?

Thanks. It didn't look bad in the auction pic. Thin but persistent layer of dried goo. Oh well, it was cheap and looks nice on the wall since I have a perfect spot for it.

I would suggest lighter fluid ,........and then a match . Do it outdoors , and be careful.

I was thinking about a ukelin a few years ago and read that they are tough to play. I watched them come and go on Ebay and decided against it. Have you tried alchohol to clean the ukelin , or white vinegar ? Those may work . I restored a banjo uke and the white vinegar worked great to get the nicotine off.

I've used naptha to clean a few of my instruments with very good results. it removed all sorts of grime without too much difficulty. it dries quickly and doesn't harm finishes ot hardware. it's worth trying.

I only bought it as a "wall hanging." I saw some wacky music store had one in perfect shape listed for $500..LOL. I just tried an alcohol wipe Pete. Kinda works. I wanted to try some mineral spirits, but was out of it. Guess I'm off tomorrow to buy lighter fluid. Probably should have some anyway for other cleanup projects. Thanks ramone.

Tried lighter fluid....I was surprised it was the least effective among other things I have tried. Guess I'll have to stick with the degreaser unless I find something better.

I had Goof-Off in one hand, the lighter fluid in the other. I took the cheaper route. We all know how that often turns out. Maybe they'll let me exchange it and buy the Goof-Off. Thanks

Top Bottom