John S. Kinnard - A video interview with Kevin Beddoe and the RTU (Road Trip Tenor)

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here is an interview I conducted with Kevin Beddoe from John S. Kinnard Instruments during the Wine Country Uke Festival in St. Helena, CA. last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2E9xd__DLM

This was an impromptu interview and I greatly appreciated Kevin's time, although I think he liked me grabbing him to go inside to an air conditioned room since it was nearly 100F outside. And in the shade..still felt like 100F to me!

Although the specific review on the RTU is coming, I hope you find this review of John's build style and why/how things are done to be interesting.

Cheers!

Very nice interview. I was able to play some of their ukes at the Uke Fest at Napa, and I was very impressed with the sound and build quality of the Kinnard ukes.

Great interview. I cannot say enough good things about my Kinnard concert.

Mitch

Does he do inlay work? You are awakening my UAS...

Visually, his work looks like Pepe Romero. Can anyone compare/contrast them?

Does he do inlay work? You are awakening my UAS...

Visually, his work looks like Pepe Romero. Can anyone compare/contrast them?

His attention to fit and finish was better than Romero IMO.

Very nice interview Jay, well done. Kevin does a fantastic job of articulating the nuances of John's ukuleles. They make a great team and are an absolute pleasure to work with.

His attention to fit and finish was better than Romero IMO.

Having had a Pepe Romeo for a while and a visit from the RTU. I totally agree!

I really enjoyed the interview. Thanks Jay! Your video work is awesome.

Last edited:
This was a very interesting interview. I especially liked knowing that John uses jeweler's glasses as he's working. Craig had the RTU tenor for review. Before he sent it on its way, he bought John's all-walnut tenor. The finish on both is exceptional.

Though it's so not in the budget, I am craving a Kinnard soprano.

This was a very interesting interview. I especially liked knowing that John uses jeweler's glasses as he's working. Craig had the RTU tenor for review. Before he sent it on its way, he bought John's all-walnut tenor. The finish on both is exceptional.

Budget, schmudget Ginny! Although to my knowledge John doesn't build sopranos. Yet. :)

Does he make sopranos?

Nice interview Jay! Very informative. Kevin is a good guy and takes good pictures too!

I was lucky enough to have the Kinnard RTU visit my home this summer. I was so impressed that I commissioned a tenor build which is underway right now!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85776-Building-a-Kinnard-Tenor-Ukulele

Thanks Dennis. Can't wait to see the photos. Looks like quite a few folks are getting them. Nice to see he is picking up steam with orders. I am sure we will see a lot of NUD's in the coming months....and is that a Cuban you're smokin? :). Macanudo's are good! Lol.

Top Bottom