Building a Kinnard Tenor Ukulele

IMG_2753.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

John uses fretboard guages to test the radius at different locations on the fretboard.

IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

On to the headstock ...

IMG_2761.jpeg

And out of the sawdust everywhere, emerges a beautiful looking uke. The contrast of the pristine ebony makes the mouth water. : )

Thanks Frank & Stan & Craig. Stay tuned as there are still a surprise or 2 in store on this one.

@Craig: How is your Kinnard doing. I am so looking forward to playing and hearing mine. Yours getting some playing time with all those quality instruments at your place? Curious if it is changing at all?

The skill that John has with his belt sander, is incomprehensible to me.

Looks like he used it for many complex and precise operations. How does he do that?

IMG_2620.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

You are very fortunate to have such a skilled builder in your area - one willing to share the whole process with you and us.

Wow, Dennis. This little beauty is not even completed and it is obvious how special it is going to be. I'd be willing to be it sounds at least as good as it looks. Congratulations amigo!

Wendell

Thanks for the compliments Wendell and Frank. I am glad you decided to follow along.

@Doc_J: You and me both! I can't imagine the skill involved in working over a belt sander by hand. It defies the imagination!

The home stretch? ...

To say the very least I am astounded at how quickly this ukulele is coming together! I know there are a few things still to do but the reality is, we are probably talking finished by the end of October! Amazing!

Kevin calls it getting down to the nitty gritty. I call it sleepless nights.

Progress has the headstock bound with curly Koa and abalone. The fingerboard has fret wire installed but not finalized yet. The carbon fiber rods are installed in the neck and the bushings have been installed in the headstock for the tuning machines. The uke is expected to be in the first part of finish (paste fill and fill coat) probably by Thursday or Friday this week!

A few more pics ...

The headstock is bound and carbon fiber rods pressed into the neck.

IMG_2769.jpeg

IMG_2768.jpeg

The fretboard on the neck.

IMG_2771.jpeg

IMG_2767.jpeg

John checking the neck alignment.

IMG_2775.jpeg

The first fill coats are on!

Oh my goodness! Lookee what we got here! The neck is carved and John has sprayed the first of the fill coats. He sprays a couple of layers of 2 part poly varnish to soak into the pores of the wood. This is what you are seeing in these pictures. Just look at the colors in the wood begin to "Pop"!

The next step is to paste fill the entire body and neck and let that cure before starting the process of building up the finish coats. In that process, as the coats are built up, they are leveled and ultimately wet sanded and buffed to the final high gloss sheen.

Enjoy!

The top

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

I especially love the side-showing shots, really eye-catching with that binding!

Looking great Dennis. Having had the Road Trip uke in your possession for awhile, you know what a great job John does on the finishing.

I have a question about the abalone on the cedar soundboard around the base of the fingerboard. Was this something that you specified or did John recommend it? I don't think I have ever seen this detail on a uke before.

Top Bottom