Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Light" strings for a tenor uke

Cool "Light" strings for a tenor uke

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering... You know how guitars have light/medium/heavy etc gauge strings... Is there a similar type of thing with the tenor uke?

I am looking for some strings that are a bit lighter tension/mellower sound.

Any thoughts, comments help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Worth makes a lot of different string sets with different tensions. In general, their Brown strings are mellower than the clear strings, but within each type they also have different gauge sets. Check them out at http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

Aquilas seem a bit thicker to me, while some of the black strings like GHS and Hilo are thinner. I've found the thin or light strings provide less volume and are not as bright as strings like Aquila. While lighter strings may bend more easily, they don't seem to give my ules the tone and volume I want.

A good compromise might be the D'Addario J71s. I find them smooth and easy to play, an 'in-between' string for volume and brightness.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

I have GHS at the moment and I don't think I'm very happy at the moment. Also, what's the deal with the 1 steel wound string? I think I'm going to look at the D'Addarios or Aquilas, they seem to have a really good reputation for quality.

I'm guessing lower tension will also lower the action a little on the tenor uke?
    Is that correct?

Hey George, Mahaloz for the link - found that awhile back and forgot to bookmark it. Great reference!

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Quote Originally Posted by ichadwick View Post
    Aquilas seem a bit thicker to me, while some of the black strings like GHS and Hilo are thinner. I've found the thin or light strings provide less volume and are not as bright as strings like Aquila. While lighter strings may bend more easily, they don't seem to give my ules the tone and volume I want.
    I agree. I recently restrung my tenor with Worth browns (replacing the Aquilas that were on it). I thought I wanted a mellower sound and I also liked the brown color. After playing with them for a week, I restrung the uke with Aquilas again. I found that I actually prefered the thicker gauge of the Aquila and the brighter sound, with the added volume of the Aquilas.

The Worth Browns are very thin and mellow, and seem to have less volume. While they didn't work for me, they may be exactly what you are looking for.

Note: this was for my Kanile'a. Funnily enough, the Worth Browns are currently the string of choice on my Kamaka.
    Last edited by wickedwahine11; 08-19-2009 at 06:04 AM.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

I feel the Ko'olau Gold Strings are very mellow and low tension you might give those a shot. Played them on a Tenor and a Soprano.
    Had to change them off my Pono Soprano I kept rolling off the A string I was used to Aquilla and Pro Arte's.
    Ukulele, the most fun I've had being bad at something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettWatchorn View Post
    Also, what's the deal with the 1 steel wound string? I think I'm going to look at the D'Addarios or Aquilas, they seem to have a really good reputation for quality.

I'm guessing lower tension will also lower the action a little on the tenor uke?
    Wound strings provide more mass without an increase in gauge.

Out of curiosity, how do you know of the quality reputation of those strings. Personally, D'Addario standard `ukulele strings suck (not the Pro Artes, which are 1 of my strings of choice), and Aquila has its place on a number of instruments. Again, personally.

Lower string tension does not lower action. It may however, require that you raise the action when you switch to lower tension strings.

-Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Wound strings provide more mass without an increase in gauge.

Out of curiosity, how do you know of the quality reputation of those strings. Personally, D'Addario standard `ukulele strings suck (not the Pro Artes, which are 1 of my strings of choice), and Aquila has its place on a number of instruments. Again, personally.

Lower string tension does not lower action. It may however, require that you raise the action when you switch to lower tension strings.

-Aaron
    Oh my. I never distinguished between standard D'Addarios and the Pro Artes. I'll have to be very sure to pick up the good set instead, when I do try out the company's stuff.

One mans Gold is anothers Garbage...
    I love the Pro Arte's Tenor strings, cant stand the black D'Addario's any string
    and I do like the green pac Soprano D'Addario they sound real ol'timey.

To me the Pro Arte's are far from mellow sounding.

You just have to get some of each brand and hear/feel for yourself.
    Ukulele, the most fun I've had being bad at something!!!

Thread Information